27 October 1965
San Francisco, California, USA
|Spouse(s)||Gillian Harwood Chesse (?-present)|
Matt Chesse (born October 27, 1965) is an American film editor, producer, and director who is mainly associated with Independent films. He was nominated for the Academy Award for Film Editing for Finding Neverland (2004). Chesse has edited most of the films directed by Marc Forster, including the recent James Bond film Quantum of Solace (2008).
Chesse was born and raised in the San Francisco area, and received a bachelor's degree in English literature from San Francisco State University. After college he was invited to relocate to Los Angeles to assist Peter Kagan, a director of commercials, at Stiefel and Co.. He next worked as an assistant to Angus Wall, an editor at the commercial editorial shop Rock, Paper, Scissors. Chesse became an editor under the tutelage of David Lee and Lauren Zuckerman. His first project with Marc Forster was on the film Everything Put Together (2000), which led to their collaboration on the very successful film Monster's Ball (2001).
He has been nominated, for an Oscar in 2005: Best Achievement in Editing for Finding Neverland(2004), an Eddie in 2005: Best Edited Feature Film – Dramatic for Finding Neverland (2004), and a Satellite Award in 2008: Best Film Editing for Quantum of Solace (2008) which he shared with: Richard Pearson)
Matthew Chesse began his career as an editor. His editing credits include:
- Everything Put Together (2000)
- Monster's Ball (2001) (as Matt Chessé)
- Finding Neverland (2004)
- Stay (2005)
- Ellie Parker (2005)
- Stranger Than Fiction (2006)
- The Kite Runner (2007)
- Quantum of Solace (2008)
- Warrior (2011)
- Machine Gun Preacher (2011)
- World War Z (2013)
- Fort Bliss (2013)
- The Best of Me (2014)
- The Gift (2015)
- Money Monster (2016)
- SONY Pictures Entertainment (2006). "Stranger than Fiction: Production Notes", document archived at WebCite 2008-07-06 based on the version posted at this original URL.
- "American Cinema Editors > Members", webpage archived by WebCite from this original URL on 2008-03-04.
- Matt Chesse at the Internet Movie Database
- Puccio, John J. (2005). "Interview with Matt Chesse", webpage posted March 20, 2005 on the DVDTown.com website; archived at WebCite on 2008-07-06 from this original URL.