Matt West (baseball)
Los Angeles Dodgers – No. 76
Born: November 21, 1988|
|July 10, 2014 for the Texas Rangers|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||6.75|
Matthew Robert O'Neil West (born November 21, 1988) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played in MLB for the Texas Rangers
West was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the second round of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft out of Bellaire High School, where he was a three-year All-District player. Originally an infielder, he began his professional career with the Arizona League Rangers and hit .301 in 29 games. Near the end of the season, he was suspended for 50 games for testing positive for a "performance enhancing substance." The suspension continued into the following season and when he returned he was assigned to the Spokane Indians of the short-season Northwest League, where he hit .258 in 67 games. He spent the next two seasons with the Hickory Crawdads of the South Atlantic League, hitting only .229 in 250 games with 18 homers and 103 RBI.
Because of his poor hitting stats and perceived arm strength the Rangers chose to convert him to a pitcher prior to the 2011 season. He pitched in 23 games for Spokane in 2011 and was 1–2 with a 3.12 ERA and nine saves. He was added to the Rangers 40-man roster after the season. In 2012 he appeared in 17 games for the Advanced-Class A Myrtle Beach Pelicans of the Carolina League. He was 0–3 with a 6.64 ERA before he was shut down with arm injuries. It was revealed that he had torn the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow and had to undergo Tommy John surgery, which cause him to miss the 2013 season. He began 2014 with the AA Frisco RoughRiders of the Texas League and was promoted to the AAA Round Rock Express of the Pacific Coast League. In 41 combined games, he was 5–3 with a 3.35 ERA and also made one start.
West was promoted to the Majors on July 10, 2014, and pitched two scoreless innings in his debut against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Overall he appeared in three MLB games, working four innings and allowing three runs.
Toronto Blue Jays
West was designated for assignment by the Rangers on January 5, 2015, and claimed by the Toronto Blue Jays nine days later. He was optioned to the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons on March 15, and sent to the Double-A New Hampshire Fisher Cats on April 6 before the season began. On May 2, he was designated for assignment by Toronto. He had pitched 12.1 scoreless innings in seven games for the Fisher Cats.
Los Angeles Dodgers
West was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers in exchange for cash considerations on May 4, 2015 and assigned to the AA Tulsa Drillers. He was later promoted to the AAA Oklahoma City Dodgers on May 27. He was called up to the majors by the Dodgers on May 31 but was optioned back to the minors the following day without appearing in a game.
- "Matt West bio". mlb.com.
- "Matt West minor league statistics & history". Baseball Reference.
- Morris, Adam J. (August 30, 2007). "2007 draftee Matt West suspended". SB Nation. Retrieved May 4, 2015.
- Sullivan, T.R. (August 30, 2007). "West suspended for 50 games". milb.com. Retrieved May 4, 2015.
- "Texas adds Perez, five more to 40-man roster | texasrangers.com: News". Texas.rangers.mlb.com. November 18, 2011. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- "Matt West 2014 pitching gamelogs". Baseball Reference. Retrieved May 4, 2015.
- "Rangers sign free agent infielder Adam Rosales to one-year contract". MLB.com. January 5, 2015. Retrieved January 15, 2015.
- "Blue Jays claim right-hander West off waivers from Rangers". ESPN.com. Associated Press. January 14, 2015. Retrieved January 15, 2015.
- Singh, David (May 2, 2015). "Blue Jays send Pompey, Albers to triple-A Buffalo". Sportsnet. Retrieved May 2, 2015.
- Adams, Steve (May 4, 2015). "Dodgers Acquire Matt West From Blue Jays". mlb trade rumors. Retrieved May 4, 2015.
- Hood, David (May 28, 2015). "Quakes' bats, catchers' tempers heat up on Wednesday evening". SB Nation. Retrieved May 31, 2015.
- Stephen, Eric (May 31, 2015). "Paco Rodriguez placed on DL with elbow strain, Dodgers recall Matt West from Triple-A". SB Nation. Retrieved May 31, 2015.
- Stephen, Eric (June 1, 2015). "Dodgers call up David Huff, option Matt West to Triple-A, move Carl Crawford to 60-day DL". SB Nation. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)