Metropolis of Patras
Until 733, Patras was subordinated to the See of Corinth, and under the jurisdiction of the Patriarchate of Rome. In that year, Emperor Leo III the Isaurian transferred all the sees of the Illyricum to the Patriarchate of Constantinople.
Patras was later raised to an archbishopric, which it remained until 806, when it became a metropolitan see. It had four suffragans; then five about 940; after 1453 it had only two, which successively disappeared.
From 1180 until 1833, the see was officially termed "Metropolis of Old Patras" (Μητρόπολις Παλαιών Πατρών), to distinguish it from "New Patras", modern Ypati. Among the most prominent metropolitans of this period were the future Patriarchs of Constantinople Timothy II and Gabriel IV, as well as Germanos III, who played an important role in the Greek War of Independence.
In 1205 William of Champlitte took possession of the city of Patras and installed canons; they in turn elected Antelm, a monk of Cluny, as archbishop. It had five suffragans, Andravida, Amyclæ, Modone, Corone, and Cephalonia-Zante; even when Modone and Corone belonged to the Venetians they continued to depend on Patras. The ecclesiastical territory included the barony of Patras, subject to the Aleman family and a vassal to the principality of Achaea. In 1276, the archbishops acquired control over the barony of Patras, which henceforth became practically independent from the rest of the Principality.
The Latin archbishops held the barony 1408, when they sold it to Venice. In 1429 it again fell into the power of the Greeks of the Despotate of the Morea, who restored the Orthodox see. Patras was taken by the Ottoman Turks in 1460.
When Patras ceased to have residential Latin bishops, Latin titular bishops continued to be appointed. This practice ceased after the Second Vatican Council and no further appointments to the titular see have been made since the death in 1971 of the last bishop to hold the title.
In 1640 the Jesuits established themselves at Patras, and in 1687 the Franciscans and Carmelites. In the nineteenth century the pope confided the administration of the Peloponnese to the Bishop of Zakynthos, in 1834 to the Bishop of Syros.
- Gelzer, "Ungedruckte ... Texte der Notitiæ episcopatuum", 557.
- Gelzer, "Georgii Cyprii Descriptio orbis Romani", 77.
- Gelzer, "Georgii Cyprii Descriptio orbis Romani", 634.
- Patrologia Graeca CXI, 451.
- Oriens christiana, II, 177-82.
- In Gerland, "Neue Quellen zur Geschichte des lateinischen Erzbistums Patras", Leipzig, 1903), 247-55.
- In Echos d'Orient, VII, 103-07.