Michael Bowden (baseball)
Bowden in July 2008 with the AA Portland Sea Dogs
Born: September 9, 1986|
|August 30, 2008 for the Boston Red Sox|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||4.51|
- REDIRECT Template:Baseball year, he played for the Lancaster JetHawks and Portland Sea Dogs. He attended high school at Waubonsie Valley High School in Aurora, Illinois. He was selected by the Red Sox in the 1st round of the 2005 Major League Baseball Draft.
Boston Red Sox
Bowden began his professional career with the Gulf Coast League Red Sox in
- REDIRECT Template:Baseball year, and advanced to the Greenville Drive the following season, also playing one game with the Wilmington Blue Rocks.
Bowden began the
- REDIRECT Template:Baseball year season with the Sea Dogs and was promoted to the Pawtucket Red Sox, the Triple-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, on July 18, 2008. He got the decision in a five-inning start, giving up seven hits and two runs in an 8-2 win. On April 26, 2009, Bowden was called up to bolster the bullpen after a night where the Red Sox bullpen got overworked. He later worked two perfect innings against the New York Yankees.
Bowden was recalled July 18, 2010 after spending the season in Pawtucket. After three relief appearances, he was optioned back five days later to make room for Josh Beckett, who was coming off the disabled list. On August 14, 2010, Bowden was once again recalled, and then optioned back on August 28 to make room for Hideki Okajima.
- REDIRECT Template:Baseball year, Bowden began the season with Pawtucket, for whom he pitched in 14 games with a 1.59 ERA. He was recalled to the Red Sox on May 17 when Daisuke Matsuzaka was placed on the 15-day disabled list with an elbow injury. Bowden was recalled on August 27, to replace Scott Atchison. On April 15, 2012 Bowden was designated for assignment.
On April 21, 2012, Bowden was traded to the Chicago Cubs along with a player to be named later for Marlon Byrd. On April 14, he along with Edwin Jackson broke the record for most wild pitches in an inning, with 5. He was designated for assignment on May 21, 2013. He returned to the Cubs when his contract was selected on July 11, 2013. He was designated for assignment again on September 4, 2013 and became a free agent on October 1.
- Red Sox 2005 draft picks
- Michael Silverman (2008-08-30). Boston Herald Michael Bowden joins PawSox http://www.pawtuckettimes.com/content/view/39274/81/ Michael Bowden joins PawSox. Retrieved 2008-08-30. Missing or empty
- Ian Browne (August 30, 2011). "Pedroia leaving Red mark on Sox". MLB.com. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- Bowden called up to boster bullpen
- Dice-K to join Lackey on 15-day disabled list MLB.com, May 17, 2011
- Evan Drellich (August 27, 2011). "Atchison demoted; Bowden joins Sox's bullpen". MLB.com. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- October 2013 minor league transactions
- Polishuk, Mark (December 19, 2013). "Minor Moves: Seibu, Below, Maier, McCutchen". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved February 9, 2014.
- Polishuk, Mark (December 24, 2014). "Minor Moves: Mijares, Bowden, Runzler". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved December 25, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- SoxProspects Biography
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michael Bowden (baseball).|