Michael E. Ryan
|Michael E. Ryan|
|File:Michael Ryan, official military photo.jpg|
|Born||December 24, 1941|
|Allegiance||23x15px United States of America|
|Service/branch||22x20px United States Air Force|
|Years of service||1965–2001|
|Commands held||Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force|
Michael E. Ryan (born December 24, 1941) is a retired United States Air Force general and was the 16th Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force from October 1997 - September 2001. He served as the senior uniformed Air Force officer responsible for the organization, training and equipage of 700,000 active-duty, Guard, Reserve and civilian forces serving in the United States and overseas. As a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, he and the other service chiefs functioned as military advisers to the Secretary of Defense, National Security Council and the president.
Ryan entered the U.S. Air Force after graduating from the United States Air Force Academy in 1965; he was a graduate of Omaha Creighton Prep High School. He has commanded at the squadron, wing, numbered air force and major command levels. He flew combat in Southeast Asia, including 100 missions over North Vietnam. He also served in staff assignments at the major command level, Headquarters U.S. Air Force and the Joint Staff.
Before assuming the Chief of Staff position, Ryan was Commander of U.S. Air Forces in Europe and Commander, Allied Air Forces Central Europe, with headquarters at Ramstein Air Base, Germany. As Commander of Sixteenth Air Force and Allied Air Forces Southern Europe in Italy, he directed the NATO air combat operations in Bosnia-Herzegovina, including the bombing missions of Operation Deliberate Force, which created the context for the U.S. to broker the Dayton Peace Accords between the parties in conflict. Ryan personally approved every NATO target during the two-week Operation Deliberate Force campaign.
Ryan retired from the U.S. Air Force on October 1, 2001.
- Ryan appeared as himself in the Stargate SG-1 episode "Prodigy". Richard Dean Anderson later recalled asking the general during filming if he had subordinates as irreverent as Anderson's character Jack O'Neill. Ryan replied, "Son, yes, we've got colonels like you and worse."
Awards and decorations
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Portal/images/u' not found.
- "General Michael E. Ryan". Air Force Link. Archived from the original on 2012-12-12. Retrieved 2009-03-13.
-  "The general, a science-fiction fan, said he agreed to guest-star on Stargate SG-1 because, 'The ideas that come out of science fiction are often more science than fiction.'"
- Richard Dean Anderson (actor) (4 October 2005). "SG-1 Beyond the Gate: An Air Force Experience with Richard Dean Anderson". Stargate SG-1 (season 8) (DVD). Metro Goldwyn Mayer.
- Bio based on USAF Biography
Gen. Ronald R. Fogleman
|Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force
| Succeeded by|
Gen. John P. Jumper
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).