Michael Lombardi is an assistant to the coaching staff of the New England Patriots as well as a former analyst for the NFL Network and sportswriter at NFL.com. Lombardi also previously served as an NFL executive with the San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns, St. Louis Rams, Philadelphia Eagles, and Oakland Raiders.
Lombardi grew up in Ocean City, New Jersey and played both baseball and football at Valley Forge Military Academy.
Lombardi and wife Millie have two children.
He is the owner of a Lagotto Romagnolo dog.
He is not related to Green Bay Packers coaching legend Vince Lombardi.
- 2008 – NFL Network: Invited to be a part of their annual Path to the Draft programs. Became a regular on the nightly Total Access show and contributed to Insider segments. Also contributed on game days with studio analysis or on-field reporting from individual games.
- 2010 – NFL.com: Joined the NFL’s Website, contributing three columns per week.
- 2008–2010 – NationalFootballPost.com: Founded NationalFootballPost.com in 2008. Served as Editor-In-Chief before amicably departing to join NFL.com.
- 2008 – Sports Illustrated: Joined SI.com as a freelance writer after being recommended by SI Senior Writer Peter King. Quickly moved from one column per week to two columns per week before amicably departing to found NationalFootballPost.com.
- 2013 to 2014 - Cleveland Browns: Hired as General Manager and VP of Player Personnel. On February 11, 2014 Lombardi was replaced by Ray Farmer.
- 1998 to 2007 – Oakland Raiders: Hired by owner Al Davis to become Senior Personnel Executive working closely with the owner on all football matters. Liaison with head coach and owner; responsible for pro and college player evaluations; and handled veteran contracts.
- 1998 – Philadelphia Eagles: Promoted to Director of Pro Personnel after serving as a consultant to team owner Jeffrey Lurie in 1997. Managed the professional personnel department and advised owner and chief financial officer on all player contracts and salary cap issues.
- 1996 – St. Louis Rams: Prepared advisory reports for ownership during head coach search.
- 1987 to 1996 – Cleveland Browns: Joined team as Pro Personnel Director in 1987. Promoted to Director of Player Personnel in 1992 where he worked under head coach Bill Belichick and was responsible for all college and pro personnel decisions; managed salary cap and player personnel issues; oversaw staff of 13 college and pro scouts; handled all player contracts and advised head coach on all football matters.
- 1984 to 1987 – San Francisco 49ers: Hired as a scout, reported to head coach Bill Walsh and assistant coaches in all matters of college scouting and supplied information for use during the NFL draft.
- ^ NFL.com bio, 2/11/2010
- ^ "Lombardi named VP of Player Personnel", Cleveland Browns, January 18, 2013. Accessed May 18, 2013. "A native of Ocean City, New Jersey, Lombardi lettered in both football and baseball at Valley Forge Military Academy in Wayne, Pennsylvania."
- ^ Cleveland Browns: Could Michael Lombardi Become The New GM?, www.rantsports.com, 11-7-12, accessed 1-18-13
- ^ "Patriots make it official with Michael Lombardi", February 20, 2014. Accessed February 24, 2014.