Military of Slovakia
|Military of Slovakia|
Ozbrojené Sily Slovenskej Republiky
File:Regrut 01 znak ossr.jpg|
Armed Forces of Slovak Republic coat-of-arms
|Service branches||Ground Forces of the Slovak Republic, Slovak Air Force|
|Commander-in-Chief||President of the Republic|
|Chief of staff||Chief of the General Staff: Lieutenant General Milan Maxim|
|Military age||17 years of age|
|Conscription||Abolished in 2006|
|1,413,079, age 15–49|
|1,162,282, age 15–49|
|Active personnel||14,095 soldiers and 8,515 civilians (2013)|
|Budget||744 million € (2014)|
|Percent of GDP||1.00% (2014)|
23x15px Czech Republic|
Template:Country data Israel
23x15px United States
The Armed Forces of the Slovak Republic number 14,095 uniformed personnel and 8,515 civilians. Slovakia joined NATO in 29 March 2004. From 2006 the army transformed into a fully professional organization and compulsory military service was abolished.
Structure of the Armed Forces
- Ground Forces - are made up of two active mechanized infantry brigades.
- Air and Air Defence Forces - comprising one wing of fighters, one wing of utility helicopters, and one SAM brigade.
- Training and Support Forces - comprising NSE - National Support Element (Multifunctional Battalion, Transport Battalion, Repair Battalion), Garrison of capital city Bratislava, as well as Training Battalion, and various logistics and communication and information bases.
- Miscellaneous forces under the direct command of the General Staff - the 5th Special Forces Regiment
Slovakia's plan for defense reform is the Force 2015 Long-Term Plan, which strikes a balance between requirements and resources and which envisions a professionalized, combat-capable force of 14,500 uniformed personnel by 2013.
- 23x15px Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 Fulcrum - 8 (NATO upgraded)
- 23x15px Aero L-39 Albatros - 5 (NATO upgraded)
- 23x15px Antonov An-26 Curl - 1 (NATO upgraded), to be replaced by Alenia C-27J Spartan
- 23x15px Let L-410 Turbolet - 6 (NATO upgraded)
- 23x15px Mil Mi-17 Hip-H - 10 (NATO upgraded), to be replaced by Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk
- 23x15px Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk - 9 (Deliveries 2016-2019)
- 23x15px Alenia C-27J Spartan - 2 (Deliveries 2016-2017)
Note -- All aircraft data is current as of 1.5.2015
- Air Defence Systems
5th Special Forces Regiment
It is Slovakia's premier Counter-Terrorism and special operations unit. The unit is directly attached to the Armed Forces General Staff, but works for the Operational Reconnaissance Bureau.
Slovakia has 158 military personnel deployed in Cyprus for UNFICYP United Nations led peace support operations. Slovakia committed to increase the number of its troops in Afghanistan to around 66 men by the end of 2014. Slovakia has 34 troops deployed in Bosnia and Herzegovina for EUFOR Althea. Slovak troops were withdrawn from Kosovo because the Slovak Armed Forces set its priority to focus mainly on an Afghanistan NATO led mission. Since the independence of Slovakia in 1993, there have been 59 uniformed personnel deaths in the line of service to the United Nations and NATO (as of 2013). 
- "Defence Data". Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "NATO Defence Expenditure: 2009 - 2013" 14 August 2014
- "Slovak Military Budget 2014"
- "Slovak Military Budget 2013"
- "Rezort obrany vyčerpal vlani z rozpočtu 725,6 milióna eur". Topky.sk. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- P E R E X , a. s. "Rozpočet armády sa zvyšovať nebude, tvrdí Fico". Pravda.sk. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- Azet.sk. "Slovenská armáda v číslach: 475 vojakov nebolo na testoch fyzickej spôsobilosti!". Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- Azet.sk. "Vojakov je menej. Za desať rokov klesol ich počet o 8000". Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "NATO Update: Seven new members join NATO - 29 March 2004". Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Biela kniha o obrane SR 2013"
- SME - Petit Press, a.s. "Slovensk armda je v kritickom stave, me to ma fatlne nsledky". Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "(Nie) je armáda (obrana) už dávno v kríze?!" 24 April 2011
- "Armáda je v … ?!" 24 April 2011
- "Obrana po slovensky alebo Armda, kam a to doved...". Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "United Nations Mission´s Summary detailed by Country 2014" 30 June 2014
- "Pôsobenie Slovenska v zahraničných misiách a operáciách"
- Jasmin. "EUFOR "Exercise Quick Response 2" begins". EUFOR ALTHEA. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "B92 - Info - Slovakia pulling soldiers from Kosovo". B92. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Účasť Slovenska v mierových operáciách NATO - Slovensko v NATO - Zahraničná politika - Ministerstvo zahraničných vecí a európskych záležitostí Slovenskej republiky". Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Two Slovakian Soldiers Killed in Kabul Suicide Car Bomb". Defense News. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "20 Years of U.S. - Slovak Diplomatic Relations". Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- Official homepage of the Ministry of Defence
- Armed Forces of the Slovak Republic Invalid language code.
- Picture gallery
- Slovak military photos
Lua error in Module:Navbar at line 23: Invalid title Template:If empty.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Military of Slovakia.|