|It has been suggested that Mimulus glutinosus be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since September 2014.|
Mimulus aurantiacus, the sticky monkey-flower or orange bush monkey-flower, is a flowering plant that grows in a subshrub form, native to southwestern North America from southwestern Oregon south through most of California. It is treated by some botanists in a separate genus from other Mimulus as Diplacus aurantiacus.
Mimulus aurantiacus grows up to 1.2 meters-4 feet tall, has deep green sticky leaves 3 to 7 cm long and up to a centimeter broad and flowering stems that grow vertically. The flowers are tubular at the base and about 2 centimeters long with five broad lobes; they occur in a variety of shades from white to red, the most common color being a light orange. They are honey plants pollinated by bees and hummingbirds.
It grows in many climates and will thrive in many types of soil, wet, dry, sandy, or rocky. It even grows in serpentine, a soil that most plants have difficulty thriving in because of its unique mineral composition.
Traditional Native American medical plant
The Miwok and Pomo Native Americans used its flowers and roots to treat a number of ailments, but was particularly useful for its antiseptic qualities as it expedited the healing of minor scrapes and burns.
- Mimulus aurantiacus flowers 2003-03-11.jpg
- Mimulus aurantiacus-1.jpg
- Mimulus aurantiacus-4.jpg
- (Curtis) Jeps
- W. Jepson. 1993
- "Mimulus aurantiacus_Plant Supplies".
- "Bush Monkeyflower_Mimulus aurantiacus_(Scrophulariaceae)_California Academy of Sciences_California WildFlowers".
- Han, Kaiping, and David Lincoln. "The Evolution of Carbon Allocation to Plant Secondary Metabolites: A Genetic Analysis of Cost in Diplacus Aurantiacus." Evolution 48.5 (1994): 1550-563.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mimulus aurantiacus.|
- Jepson Manual treatment of Mimulus aurantiacus
- Calflora Database: Mimulus aurantiacus (Bush Monkey Flower, island monkeyflower, sticky monkeyflower)
- USDA Plants profile for Diplacus aurantiacus ssp. aurantiacus (orange bush monkeyflower)
- ITIS−Integrated Taxonomic Information System: Diplacus aurantiacus
- ITIS: Diplacus aurantiacus ssp. aurantiacus — shows synonyms.