Moore Public Schools
|School type||Public, school district|
|Medium of language||
Moore Public School District, also known as Moore Public Schools is a public school district in Moore, Oklahoma. The school district is the third largest in the state of Oklahoma, after Tulsa Public Schools and Oklahoma City Public Schools, with an enrollment of 21,210 as of October 2008.
The district serves three cities: entire city of Moore, very large portion of southern Oklahoma City, and northern Norman. The district covers approximately Script error: No such module "convert". and has pre kindergarten through 12 grade students enrolled.
On May 20, 2013, parts of Moore and neighboring Newcastle and southern Oklahoma City, were affected by an intense multiple-vortex EF5 tornado. The tornado struck Briarwood Elementary School (South Oklahoma City), Plaza Towers Elementary School (Moore), and Highland East Junior High School . Briarwood and Plaza Towers sustained enough damage to be considered a total loss.Highland East's gym was for the most part destroyed. All out buildings were destroyed completely. Seven third graders inside Plaza Towers' 2nd-3rd grade annex lost their lives when the structure's walls collapsed.
On October 20, 2014 the district asked several employees and students who had been on a Carnival Cruise ship which had also been carrying a lab technician who may have come in contact with specimens from Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan three weeks earlier, not to return to school until the worker was cleared and there was no medical threat. The Lab technician tested negative and the employees and students were allowed to return to school.
On March 25, 2015, a EF1 tornado hit southern Oklahoma City and Moore and lifted the roof and damaged Southgate Elementary and other houses in the path of the tornado. Some were injured. No one was found dead.
List of schools
The school district includes 31 schools, with preschool through 6th grade students attending elementary school, 7th and 8th grade students attending junior high school and 9th through 12th grade students attending high school.
Junior high schools
- Brink Junior High
- Central Junior High
- Highland East Junior High (partially damaged by tornado on May 20, 2013)
- Highland West Junior High
- Moore West Junior High
- Earlywine Little Learners Preschool
- Vista Academy
- "Moore Public Schools / Overview". Mooreschools.com. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- Bever, Lindsey. "After Ebola scare, some cruise ship passengers kept out of Oklahoma school". Washington Post. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- Fox, Maggie. "Ebola in America: Has the Fever Broken?". NBC News. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "Moore School District | Moore, OK". Education.com. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- "Assessing the Damage Along the Tornado’s Path in Oklahoma". NY Times. May 24, 2013. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.