Mrs. O'Malley and Mr. Malone
|Mrs. O'Malley and Mr. Malone|
|File:Mrs. O'Malley and Mr. Malone FilmPoster.jpeg|
|Directed by||Norman Taurog|
|Produced by||William H. Wright|
Stuart Palmer (story)|
Craig Rice (story)
Mrs. O'Malley and Mr. Malone is a 1950 comedy/murder mystery film set on board a train. It stars Marjorie Main and James Whitmore. It is based on the short story "Once Upon a Train (The Loco Motive)" by Stuart Palmer and Craig Rice.
Montana housewife Hattie O'Malley boards a train bound for New York because she's on her way to collect a prize she's won from a radio program. Getting on board in Chicago is criminal attorney John J. Malone, whose client, Steve Kepplar, just released from prison in Joliet, still owes him $10,000.
Suspicion exists that Kepplar himself will be on the train, heading to New York to retrieve $100,000 he previously stashed from a robbery. Chicago detective Tim Marino is a passenger. So is the ex-convict's business partner, Myron Brynk, and his moll, a looker named Lola.
Kepplar is indeed along for the ride, disguised as a sailor. Lola is in on it, hiding him in her compartment. But soon his dead body is found, followed by hers. More and more, the detective comes to believe lawyer Marino and even Hattie could be involved in this, but Brynk turns out to be the man he's after.
- Marjorie Main as Harriet "Hattie" O'Malley
- James Whitmore as John J. Malone
- Ann Dvorak as Connie Kepplar
- Phyllis Kirk as Kay
- Fred Clark as Inspector Tim Marino
- Dorothy Malone as Lola Gillway
- Clinton Sundberg as Donald
- Douglas Fowley as Steve Kepplar
- Willard Waterman as Mr. Ogle
- Don Porter as Myron Brynk
- Jack Bailey as The Game Show Host
- Nancy Saunders as Joanie
- Basil Tellou as The Greek Passenger
- James Burke as The Train Conductor
According to MGM records the film earned $772,000 in the US and Canada and $143,000 overseas, leading to a loss of $31,000.
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study.
- Mrs. O'Malley and Mr. Malone at the Internet Movie Database
- Mrs. O'Malley and Mr. Malone at the TCM Movie Database
- Mrs. O'Malley and Mr. Malone at AllMovie
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found. Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.