Nilsa Cruz-Perez (born January 21, 1961) is an American Democratic Party politician who was sworn into office to represent the 5th Legislative District in the New Jersey Senate on December 15, 2014, to fill the vacant seat of Donald Norcross. She had previously served in the New Jersey General Assembly from 1995 to 2010.
Cruz-Perez born on January 21, 1961, in Puerto Rico. She attended the University of Puerto Rico (Political Science), Big Bend Community College Army Quartermaster School and the Temple University Overseas Division. Cruz-Perez served in the United States Army from 1981 to 1987, attaining the rank of sergeant. Cruz-Perez works as a part-time community development specialist for the Camden County Improvement Authority.
Cruz-Perez was selected in February 1995 to fill the vacancy created by resignation of Assemblyman Wayne R. Bryant, when Bryant was selected to fill the Senate seat vacated due to the death of Senator Walter Rand on January 6, 1995.
She served in the New Jersey General Assembly from 1995 to 2010, where she represented the 5th Legislative District. She was the Assistant Majority Leader from 2002–2005 and Deputy Majority Leader from January 2006 to January 2010.
In 2009 she announced that she would retire after her current term in the legislature. Cruz-Perez serves in the Assembly on the Consumer Affairs Committee (as Chair), the Housing and Local Government Committee, the Human Services Committee and the Military and Veterans' Affairs Committee.
- Caffrey, Michelle. "First Latina legislator in N.J. Cruz-Perez steps into new role in state Senate", South Jersey Times, December 15, 2014. Accessed December 15, 2014. "Former Assemblywoman Nilsa Cruz-Perez was sworn into the state Senate on Monday, filling the seat left vacant by U.S. Rep. Donald Norcross. Democrat Cruz-Perez, sworn in by Senate President Steve Sweeney, will represent the 5th district in the state legislature after Norcross was elected to replace former Congressman Rob Andrews."
- Assemblywoman Cruz-Perez's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed February 25, 2008.
- Ott, Dwight. "LATINO WOMAN LIKELY TO JOIN ASSEMBLY - A FIRST CAMDEN'S NILSA CRUZ-PEREZ WOULD REPLACE WAYNE R. BRYANT. HE WILL FILL WALTER RAND'S STATE SENATE SEAT.", The Philadelphia Inquirer, January 28, 1995. Accessed June 10, 2007.
- Senator Cruz-Perez's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms
- Assembly Member Nilsa I. Cruz-Perez, Project Vote Smart
- New Jersey Voter Information Website 2003