No. 70 Squadron RAF
|No. 70 Squadron RAF|
|70 Squadron badge|
22 Apr 1916–2 Jan 1920|
1 Feb 1920–31 Mar 1946
15 Apr 1946 - 1 Apr 1947
1 May 1948 – 8 Sep 2010
1 Oct 2014 -
|Garrison/HQ||RAF Brize Norton|
|Equipment||Airbus A400M Atlas|
|Battle honours||Western Front 1916-1918*, Somme 1916*, Arras, Ypres 1917*, Somme 1918, Kurdistan 1922-1924, Iraq 1918-1929, Kurdistan 1930-1931, Northern Kurdistan 1932, North West Frontier 1937, Mediterranean 1940-1943, Egypt and Libya 1940-1943*, Greece 1940-1941, Syria 1941, Iraq 1941*, El Alamein, North Africa 1942-1943*, El Hamma, Sicily 1943, Italy 1943-1945*, Salerno, Anzio and Nettuno, Gustav Line, Gothic Line, South East Europe 1944-1945*, South Atlantic 1982, Gulf 1991.Honours marked with an asterisk are those emblazoned on the Squadron Standard|
|Squadron badge heraldry||A demi-wing lion erased. Developed from an unofficial winged lion badge probably derived from the Squadron's long dependence on the Napier Lion engine during the 1920s.|
World War I
The squadron was formed on April 22, 1916 at Farnborough, and was equipped with the Sopwith 1½ Strutter. The squadron was posted to France, and in 1917 re-equipped with Sopwith Camels. The squadron briefly disbanded in January 1920, reforming nine days later at Heliopolis, Egypt via the renumbering of No. 58 Squadron. The squadron was equipped with the Vickers Vimy bomber.
During World War I, the squadron claimed 287 victories, and had as members nineteen aces, including Frank Granger Quigley, John Todd, Frank Hobson, Oscar Heron, Frank Gorringe, Walter M. Carlaw, George Robert Howsam, Clive Franklyn Collett, Alfred Michael Koch, Kenneth Bowman Watson, Noel Webb, Edward Gribben, and Frederic Laurence.
The squadron briefly disbanded in January 1920, reforming nine days later at Heliopolis, Egypt, via the renumbering of No. 58 Squadron. The squadron was now a bomber-transport unit operating the Vickers Vimy bomber. After transferring to Hinaidi, Iraq in December 1921, the squadron was re-equipped with Vickers Vernon’s and subsequently by Vickers Victoria in 1926. In addition to providing heavy transport facilities to both air and ground units they were used as air ambulances and were responsible for maintaining the Cairo-Baghdad airmail route. The squadron was commanded by Group Captain Eric Murray DSO MC. In 1929, he flew the first route to the Cape on behalf of Imperial Airways who were seeking routes for the civil flights.
In December 1928, a coup against the Amir of Afghanistan by Habibullah Kalakani supported by Ghilzai peoples led to the first large scale air evacuation, the Kabul Airlift. Over two months Victoria troop-carriers of 70 squadron played central role in the airlift of 586 British and European officials and civilians flying over mountains at a height of up to 10,000 ft (3,048m) often in severe weather.
The Valentia replaced the Victorias in November 1934. 70 squadron is recorded as being based at RAF Habbaniya from 1937-9 and in August 1939, it returned to Egypt.
World War II
After Italy entered the war the squadron converted to Wellingtons, and on 18 September it began operations over the Western Desert, with targets ranging from shipping and airfields to road convoys and supply dumps
In 1940 A detachment was sent to Tatoi, in support of Allied forces defending Greece and in 1941 the squadron was involved in the campaign to conquer Vichy-occupied Syria and the Rashid Ali rebellion in Iraq . 70 Squadron relocated frequently in support of the 8th Army’s westward advance, first into Libya then Tunisia. In November 1943 it relocated to Djedeida 20 miles west of Tunis putting industrial targets in the North of Italy, within easy reach.
Between December 1943 and October 1945 the squadron relocated to Foggia, Italy where the Wellington's were replaced by the long range Liberators. The squadron was already active over the Balkans, but the Liberator gave it the range to drop mines in the Danube, as well as to continue bombing targets in northern Italy, Austria and Southern France.
Post World War II
The squadron disbanded in April 1947 and was reformed in May 1948, at Kabrit, Egypt when No. 215 Squadron was renumbered No. 70 Squadron. The squadron was equipped with Dakotas until 1950, when it re-equipped with Valettas. In 1955, the squadron moved to Cyprus to RAF Akrotiri and re-equipped with the Hastings, Vickers Valetta and later used the Pembroke twin engined communication aircraft.After a brief period operating Armstrong Whitworth Argosy C.1s, the squadron began conversion to the Hercules in 1970, and moved to RAF Lyneham in 1975, after 55 years overseas. After 35 years of operating the Hercules C1/C3 from Lyneham, the squadron disbanded in September 2010.
|1916–1917||Sopwith 1½ Strutter||Single-engined biplane fighter|
|1917–1919||Sopwith Camel||Single-engined biplane fighter|
|1919||Sopwith Snipe||Single-engined biplane fighter|
|1920||Handley Page 0/400||Twin-engined biplane bomber|
|1920–1922||Vickers Vimy||Twin-engined biplane bomber|
|1922–1926||Vickers Vernon||Twin-engined biplane transport|
|Twin-engined biplane transport|
|1935–1940||Vickers Valentia||Twin-engined biplane transport|
|Twin-engined medium bomber|
|1945–1946||Consolidated Liberator||VI||Four-engined bomber|
|1946–1947||Avro Lancaster||B1(FE)||Four-engined bomber|
|1948–1950||Douglas Dakota||Twin-engined transport|
|1950–1956||Vickers Valetta||C1||Twin-engined transport|
|1956–1968||Handley Page Hastings||C1 and C2||Four-engined transport|
|1967–1975||Armstrong Whitworth Argosy||C1||Four-engined transport|
|1970–1980||Lockheed Hercules||C1||Four-engined transport|
|1980–2010||Lockeed Hercules||C3||Four-engined transport|
|2014-||Airbus Atlas||Four-engined transport|
- http://www.theaerodrome.com/services/gbritain/rfc/70.php Retrieved 17 February 2010.
- The Flying Years, Claude Hilton Keith, Page John Hamilton Limited, 1937
- "LXX Squadron Stand Down". www.raf.mod.uk. Royal Air Force. 10 September 2010. Retrieved 4 October 2010.
- Jefford 1988, page 46
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to No. 70 Squadron RAF.|