North Bengal Medical College
|North Bengal Medical College|
|Type||Medical College and Hospital|
|Principal||Dr.Prof. Samir Ghosh Roy|
|Dean||Dr.Prof. Amita Giri(Majumdar)|
183 per year|
|Affiliations||West Bengal University of Health Sciences|
North Bengal Medical College (Bengali: নর্থবেঙ্গল মেডিক্যাল কলেজ ) is located in Siliguri, India. It is the largest healthcare facility in the North Bengal region of West Bengal serving as a tertiary referral institute and has teaching programs for graduation and postgraduation. It is one of the twelve government medical colleges in West Bengal. The hospital has a bed strength of 862 and caters to a large population of 15 million in North Bengal and many more from the surrounding states of north east India and the neighbouring countries of Nepal, Bhutan and Bangladesh.
- 1 Location
- 2 History
- 3 Campus
- 4 Affiliation
- 5 Administration
- 6 Admission
- 7 Academics
- 8 Conferences & Workshops
- 9 Hospital Services
- 10 Students
- 11 Hostels
- 12 Student Life
- 13 Notable alumni
- 14 References
- 15 External links
North Bengal Medical College is located in Sushrutanagar, to the west of Siliguri, connected to the town by the 3rd Mahananda bridge. Sushrutanagar, (situated at Thiknikata Gram Panchayet), otherwise referred to as ‘medical’ by the local people, is more or less 5 km from the Siliguri town proper. The nearest Railway Station is New Jalpaiguri Jn about 11 km away and the nearest Airport is Bagdogra Airport about 8 km from the Campus
It was established in 1968 as the first medical college of North Bengal. Originally envisioned by Dr. B. C. Roy, the planning was executed by Ajit Kumar Panja, the then state health minister. Prof. Ajit Kr. Duttagupta joined as the first official principal of the college which was then known as North Bengal University Medical College. NBUMC was rechristened in August 1978 to North Bengal Medical College & Hospital and the administrative control went from North Bengal University to Govt. of West Bengal.
The first batches
 The premedical classes started on 6.11.67 in a makeshift arrangement at Jackson medical school, Jalpaiguri. 2nd to 6th batch of students undertook their premedical course at Raigunj University College. 7th batch onwards, the students started their premedical course at NBMC campus, Sushrutanagar, their own place.
 Classes for 1st year MBBS course for 1st batch started on 18.11.68 in NBU campus. MBBS classes started in Sushrutanagar, the present site of NBMC in 1972. The first 5 batches had to migrate to SSKM hospital for their clinical lessons after passing 2nd prof. First 2 batches completed internship and housemanship there. The college got its recognition from the Medical Council of India in 1978.
Introduction of Postgraduation courses
In 2004, the institute achieved the milestone to be reckoned as the Post-graduate institute with introduction of MD/MS courses in five specialised disciplines like Anatomy, Physiology, Community Medicine, Pathology and Anesthesiology, which were recognized by the Medical Council of India in 2007. Since then more postgraduate courses were added in the fields of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology, General Medicine, Surgery, Gynae & Obstetrics, Orthopaedics, Paediatrics, Ophthalmology and ENT Diseases. Postgraduate seats in the fields of Radiodiagnosis (already sanctioned), Psychiatry, Microbiology, Biochemistry (in process) will be added in near future.
Increase of Undergraduate seats
From 2013 onwards Undergraduate seats has been increased by 50, which makes the annual undergraduate students intake to 150.
The college and hospital buildings, spread over a sprawling campus of Script error: No such module "convert"., are connected by very long corridors which total a length of 2.6 km. The North Bengal Dental College and the Nursing Training College are also located in the same campus.
The college was affiliated to the North Bengal University since its inception. Starting from the 2003 admission batch, it is formally affiliated to the newly formed West Bengal University of Health Sciences.
AdministrationThe college and hospital are funded and managed by Government of West Bengal.
Admission to this government medical college for undergraduate course(MBBS) is through competitive entrance exams.
For postgraduate courses one has to clear the West Bengal Postgraduate Medical Entrance or All India Postgraduate Medical Entrance Examination. From the year 2013 post graduate students are going to be selected from single All India entrance, National Eligibility and Entrance Test.
The courses offered are:
- M.B.B.S. (Annual intake of 150 students)
- B.Sc. in Nursing
- GNM Nursing
- MD Pathology
- MD Anaesthesiology
- MS Anatomy
- MD Physiology
- MD Community Medicine
- MD Paediatrics
- MD Medicine
- MS Surgery
- MS Gynaecology and Obstetrics
- MS Orthopaedics
- MD Forensic Medicine and Toxicology
- MS Ophthalmology
- MS Oto-rhino-laryngology
- MD Radiodiagnosis
- MD Psychiatry
- MD Biochemistry
- MD Microbiology
Research Level (Super-Specialization)
Paramedical and Technician
- D.M.L.T - Diploma in Medical Lab Technology
- D.P.T - Diploma in Physical Medicine
- D.Dial - Diploma in Dialysis.
- D.R.D - Diploma in Radiology.
Conferences & Workshops
The college hosts numerous Undergraduate & Postgraduate Conferences throughout the year. Notable Conferences hosted/will be hosted by the institution includes-
- NUMESCON - It is the national undergraduate medical students' conference of North Bengal Medical College held in the month of March. The conference has hands-on workshops, sessions by eminent speakers of the medical fraternity and various other interactive events.
The First Numescon was in 2015, and seen participation from all over India as well as neighbouring countries as Bangladesh.
Visit www.numescon.org for more details.
- Embarkon - An annual intra-college Undergraduate conference & workshop.
- Outdoor services
- Indoor services
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
- Intensive Coronary Care Unit (ICCU)
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- Sick Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (SNCU)
- Intensive Trauma Care Unit (ITU)
- Trauma Care Centre
- A.R.T Centre
- Preventive Cardiology
- Diagnostic & Investigation
- Fair Price Medicine Shop
- Intermediate State Reference Laboratory for Multi Drug Resistance-TB
- Rehabilitation centre(under PMR department)
Every year 150 ( previously it was 100; 50 seats increased in 2013) students graduate from the college. Besides, there are postgraduate students in various streams. Most students are from outside Siliguri and stay in the campus hostels.From 2013-14 session it has been decided to increase the number of undergraduate(MBBS) seats by 50.
- J.B.H (Junior Boys Hostel)- For 1st year and 2nd year students.(4 storied)
- N.B.H (A.K Dutta Memorial Hostel)- For 3rd year and 4th year students.(4 storied)
- S.B.H (Senior Boys Hostel)- For final year students and interns
- Intern Hostel- For House staffs and Internees. The postgraduate trainees are also accommodated in the same hostel. (Near the Emergency Gate)
- A new 4 storied 200 seated hostel is under construction for PGT students.
- L.H (Ladies Hostel)-2nd year and 3rd year students and housestaffs.
- G.H (Girls Hostel)-For 4th year, final year students, interns and postgraduate trainees.
- N.G.H (New Girls Hostel)-For 1st year students.
- A new hostel for PGT students is under construction.
- NBMC ex-students association: http://www.nbmcexstudents.info
- The annual inter-college fest Plasma spanning 4 days is held in the month of September. It is a big event with noted artists performing and students displaying their creative fervour. Other than NBMC students, Plasma also sees active participation by students from nearby colleges like North Bengal Dental College, Siliguri Institute of Technology, North Bengal University, Jalpaiguri Government Engineering College.
- The ex-students re-union Nostalgia is held in the post weekend of 18 November o every year for two days in a row.
- The freshers' welcome takes place every year to greet the new batch of MBBS students.
- Students celebrate Saraswati Puja every year in traditional style.
- Rabindra Jayanti is another annual event marking the birthday anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore.
- The college Foundation Day is observed every year on 18 November.
The college students have formed their own bands. Umami,Whistling Woods,Intoxication and The Autonomous are the most famous in the campus.
- Apurba Chatterjee - geriatrician. Awarded the "Health Worker of the Year" at the Pride of Reading awards in 2013.
- Abhijit Chowdhury - Noted gastroenterologist.
- Rudranath Bhattacharya - politician. Elected as Member of the Legislative Assembly from Siliguri constituency.
- North Bengal Medical College & Hospital
- Bed strength
- REPORT ON COMPARATIVE BACKWARDNESS OF NORTH BENGAL REGION A Study Sponsored by Planning Commission Government of India
- Road to Campus
- The genesis of NBMC
- The genesis of NBMC
- History of NBMC
- Campus - North Bengal Medical College
- Top UK medical honour for Bengali doctor