The Ogle family was prominent landed gentry in Northumberland from before the time of the Norman Conquest. The earliest appearances of the family name was written Hoggel, Oggehill, Ogille and Oghill.
After the conquest in 1066, William the Conqueror granted a deed to Humphrey de Hoggell to enjoy "all the liberties and royalties of his manor." The ancient family seat was located in Ogle, Northumberland, near Whalton. There, the Ogle's manor house was licenced for crenellation in 1341, and became known as Ogle Castle. In addition to known family castles and towers, there's a possible 11th century link with the lands of Ogilface in West Lothian.
Medieval and Renaissance Barons
Sir Robert Ogle, Knight (c.1379–1436), was the son of Sir Robert "Richard" Ogle, Baron of Hepple, Knight, of Ogle and Bothal Castles. In 1407, he was Constable of Norham Castle and Sheriff and Escheator of Islandshire and Norhamshire, then the most northern counties of England. In 1417 he was High Sheriff of Northumberland, and was appointed Warden of Roxburgh Castle in 1425.
Sir Robert was also a key figure in the 15th century defense of the northern border against the Scots, but was beaten by Sir Alexander Ramsay at Piperden in 1436. He married Matilda "Maud" Grey on c.21 May 1399. The only daughter of Joan de Mowbray and Sir Thomas Gray of Heaton, Maud was the sister of John Grey, 1st Earl of Tankerville, and Thomas Grey (1384–1415). It is through Maud that the Ogle line has royal descendants from kings Edward I of England and Philippe III of France.
As father of the 1st Baron Ogle, Robert was the head of the family that included seven successive barons and many later junior branches. Catherine Ogle was the last of this main line. As the only surviving heir of Cuthbert Ogle, 7th Baron Ogle (d. 1597), she was created Baroness Ogle in 1628. In 1591 she married Sir Charles Cavendish of Welbeck. Their successors became the Dukes of Newcastle, and Earls of Ogle.
Ogle of Causey Park
The manor of Causey Park was acquired with Bothal Castle, as a result of heiress Helen Bertram's first marriage to Robert Ogle, knight (d.1363). Later on, Robert, 4th Baron of Ogle (d. c.1530), who married Anne de Lumley, granted the estate to his younger brother Sir William Ogle (1493–1542). In 1589, the latter's grandson John, built a new tower house on the site of the earlier Pele tower.
William's great grandson James (1634–1664) married Jane Ogle of Burradon. As cousins, this marriage merged these two family branches. During the English Civil War, James Ogle was a Royalist. Parliament regarded him as a delinquent, and charged him with treason. Although his estates were forfeit, he was pardoned and allowed to compound for £324 for the return of his property. His son William Ogle (1653–1718) was Member of Parliament for Northumberland from 1685 to 1689; while William's son Henry Ogle (1685–1761), was High Sheriff of Northumberland in 1737. Along with Causey Park and Burradon, he inherited a third of the substantial North Durham properties of William Orde MP of Sandybank from his wife, Anne Orde. Henry also extended and improved Causey Park House during the 18th century. In 1849, these estates were sold by William Wallis Ogle after some 400 years of Ogle ownership.
Ogle of Choppington and Burradon
Sir William Ogle of Choppington (1412 - 10 Aug 1474), was the third son of Maud Grey and younger brother of the first baron. He is also the ancestor of the American Ogle family from Colonial Maryland. His son and heir was Gawen Ogle. Around 1503, Gawen built a tower house at Choppington, then Bedlingtonshire (Northumberland), of which no present trace remains.
In 1569 and 1596, Gawen's grandson Oliver (d. 1616) acquired the Burradon manor near Longbenton, including a tower house in two tranches. In 1633, Oliver's son Lancelot Ogle (1582–1640), improved the accommodation at Burradon Tower. After his daughter Jane Ogle of Burradon, married her cousin James Ogle of Causey Park, the Burradon house was abandoned. By 1769 it was reported to be in ruins. William Wallace, Jane's grandson, inherited the estate. He changed his name to William Wallis Ogle, and sold the property outside of the family in 1857
Ogles of Eglingham
|This section includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2014)|
Henry Ogle (1600–1669) raised forces as a parliamentary commissioner during the English Civil War. In 1644, he served as High Sheriff of Northumberland, and a Knight of the Shire in 1654. He was also Queen Anne's commissioner to Ireland.
John Ogle of Eglingham (1621–1686) was Henry's son. In 1654, he served as High Sheriff during the Commonwealth. Henry's grandson John (1649–1687), emigrated to the area that became Delaware in North America.
Although a John Ogle of roughly the same age did immigrate from England to Delaware, there is no direct evidence that this is one and the same as the grandson of Henry. (Ogle / Ogles Family Association research).
Nicholas Ogle (1605–1546) was a brother of Henry.
Luke Ogle: preacher. Nicholas's son was a dissenter and caused great problems for Northumberland as he was against the restoration of Charles II, he was arrested by General Monck.ref.
Samuel Ogle (1658–1718) Lukes's son, was recorder for Berwick and member of Parliament. he was also Commissioner for the Colony of Maryland.
- Samuel Ogle of Eglingham
Robert Ogle of Eglingham rebuilt Eglingham Hall. In grand style, he created a two-story, seven bayed, mansion that incorporated the old manor as its west wing.
Luke Ogle of Eglingham (1510–1597) was a nephew of Henry. In 1565, he served as High Sheriff of Northumberland. He also built a new manor house (later to become known as Eglingham Hall) on the site of an existing pele tower.
The Ogles sold Eglingham Hall around 1900.
Ogle of Kirkley
Henry Ogle (1525–1580), grandson of the 3rd Baron Ogle held lands at Kirkley, near Whalton, Northumberland under Lord Eure. His sons Mark and Cuthbert (1569–1655) each bought a part of the Manor from Lord Eure around 1612. In 1632, Cuthbert built the manor Kirkley Hall, close to the site of the old house.
Another great grandson Dr. Nathaniel Ogle (d. c. 1739) of Kirkley was an army physician under the Duke of Marlborough, and was Deputy Lieutenant of Northumberland in 1715. His son Rev. Newton Ogle (1726–1804) was Prebendary of Durham Cathedral and Dean of Winchester Cathedral and in 1764 replaced the old house at Kirkley with a substantial mansion.
Another son Chaloner Ogle (1726–1816) like his elder second cousin and namesake also joined the navy and became on Admiral. He was created a Baronet of Kings Worthy, Hampshire, in the year of his death. For details of his successors see Ogle Baronets.
Rev. John Saville Ogle (1767–1853) son of Newton, was Canon of Salisbury Cathedral and prebendary of Durham Cathedral, and in 1832 he substantially extended and improved Kirkley Hall. He repurchased from the Duke of Portland the ancient family estates at Ogle.
The Kirkley estate was sold outside the family in 1922.
Ogle of Kings Worthy, Hampshire
For details of this branch see Ogle of Kirkley above and Ogle Baronets.
Family towers and castles
|fortalice of Flotterton|
- Burke, B. & Burke, J.B. (1863). A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland, Part II. 4th ed. London: Harrison, Pall Mall. Retrieved from Google Books.
- Wallis, J. (1769). The Natural History and Antiquities of Northhumberland: And of So Much of the County of Durham A Lies Between the Rivers Tyne and Tweed, Commonly Called North Bishoprick. (Vol. II.) N.p.: Strahan. Google Books. Web. 16 Jan. 2014.
- King, A. (2002). 'According to the custom used in French and Scottish wars': Prisoners and casualties on the Scottish Marches in the fourteenth century. Journal of Medieval History, 28(3). doi: 10.1016/S0048-721X(02)00057-X-T0001.
- "Bertram, John (d.1450), of Bothal, Northumb." The History of Parliament Trust, n.d. Web. 24 Jan. 2014.
- Cp. X, 28–29. Living Descendants of Blood Royal, 5(266). N.p.
- Ogle, Sir Robert (c.1370-1436), of Ogle, Northumb. The History of Parliament. Web. Accessed 17 May 2014
- Template:Cite DNB
- Cavendish, Sir Charles (1553-1617), of Welbeck Abbey, Notts. The History of Parliament. Web.
- Wallis, 1769, p.552
- Banks, T. C. (1807). The Dormant and Extinct Baronage of England; Or, An Historical and Genealogical Account of the Lives, Public Emploiments, and Most Memorable Actions, of the English Nobility Who Have Flourished from the Norman Conquest to the Year 1806: Deduced from Public Records, Ancient Historians, the Works of Eminent Heralds, and from Other Celebrated and Approved Authorities. (Vol. 2, pp. 405). London: T. Bensley. Google Books. Web. 26 Jan. 2014.
- Harrison, B. (2005). The Family Forest Descendants of Lady Joan Beaufort. (pp.48). Kamuela, HI: Millisecond. Google Books.
- Craster, H.H.E, (1909). A History of Northumberland, (Vol IX, pp.52). The Northumberland County History Committee.
- Ogle, William (1653-1718), of Causey Park, Hebburn, Northumb. The History of Parliament. Accessed October 20, 2014. Web.
- Ogle, H.A.(1902). Ogle and Bothal: History of the baronies of Ogle, Bothal, and Hepple, (pp.177-180, 190). FamilySearch.org. PDF.
- Saint-George, R. & Saint-George, H. (1878). The Visitation of Northumberland in 1615. (pp.14). Heraldry Google Books. Web.
- Tayloe, Benjamin Ogle (1872). In Memoriam: Benjamin Ogle Tayloe. (pp. 357). Sherman & Company.Google Books.
- Saint-George, R. & Saint-George, H. (1878). The Visitation of Northumberland in 1615. (pp.14.) Hughes, Heraldry. Google Books.
- Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne (1891). Archaeologia Aeliana, Or, Miscellaneous Tracts Relating to Antiquities. (Vol. 14, pp. 22). Google Books. Web.
- Davis, Philip (n.d.). Choppington Tower. The Gatehouse. Accessed October 19, 2014.
- Richardson, H.D.(1903). Side-lights on Maryland History: With Sketches of Early Maryland Families. pp. 190-193. Baltimore, MD: Williams and Wilkins Co. ISBN 0-8063-0296-8.
- OGLE, Samuel (1659-1719), of Bowsden, Northumb. The History of Parliament. Web. Accessed 17 May 2014.
- Dodds, M.H.,(1926). A History of Northumberland. The Parishes of Ovingham, Stamfordham & Ponteland. (Vol. 12, pp.493-509. Northumberland County History Committee.
- Ref: Ogle and Bothal 1902.