Báez with the Los Angeles Dodgers
Los Angeles Dodgers – No. 52
Born: March 11, 1988|
Baní, Dominican Republic
|May 5, 2014 for the Los Angeles Dodgers|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||2.63|
Báez signed with the Dodgers as a non-drafted free agent third baseman in 2007 and represented the World team in the 2009 and 2010 All-Star Futures Game. In 2010 he spent most of the season with the Inland Empire 66ers of San Bernardino of the Class A-Advanced California League, but finished the year with the Chattanooga Lookouts of the Class AA Southern League. He appeared in 32 games early in 2011 with the Lookouts, hitting a weak .210 before spending most of the season on the disabled list. In 2012 with the Lookouts, he was selected to the mid-season Southern League all-star team.
After the 2012 season, the Dodgers decided that they would attempt to convert Báez from third base and make him a pitcher. He was assigned, as a pitcher, to the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes of the California League to start the 2013 season but was promoted to Chattanooga at mid-season. Between the two levels, he appeared in 48 games out of the bullpen and was 3-3 with a 3.88 ERA.
The Dodgers added Báez to the 40-man roster on November 20, 2013. He began the season with the Lookouts and was called up to the Majors for the first time on May 5, 2014. He made his MLB debut later that night against the Washington Nationals. He allowed a single and a two run homer to his first two batters before retiring the next three players in his one inning of work. He returned to the minors following the game. After another one game appearance for the Dodgers in July, he joined the bullpen in August and remained there the rest of the season. In 20 appearances, he had an ERA of 2.63, struck out 18 and walked 5.
- Ken Gurnick (June 25, 2009). "Dodgers' Baez headed to Futures Game". Losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- Joshua Castillo (July 11, 2010). "66ers Third Baseman Pedro Baez Selected to the Futures World All-Star Team". milb.com. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- (2011-06-10)Five Lookouts to Play in SL All-Star Game. minorleaguebaseball.com. Retrieved on June 10, 2012.
- "Honeycutt excited by pitchers at Dodgers minicamp". Losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com. February 5, 2013. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- Dodgers press release (November 20, 2013). "Dodgers add Pedro Baez, Yimi Garcia and Jarret Martin to 40-man roster". Losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- Eric Stephen (May 5, 2014). "Pedro Baez recalled by Dodgers, Stephen Fife optioned". truebluela.com. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pedro Báez.|
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)