Plastic arts are art forms which involve physical manipulation of a plastic medium by moulding or modeling such as sculpture or ceramics. The term has also been applied more broadly to all the visual (non-literary, non-musical) arts.
Materials for use in the plastic arts, in the narrower definition, include those that can be carved or shaped, such as stone or wood, concrete, or metal. "Plastics" meaning certain synthetic organic resins have been used ever since they were invented, but the term "plastic arts" long preceded them. The term should not be confused with Piet Mondrian's concept of "Neoplasticism".
1 : art (as sculpture or bas-relief) characterized by modeling : three-dimensional art
2 : visual art (as painting, sculpture, or film) especially as distinguished from art that is written (as poetry or music) —often used in plural
Therefore, it is safe to say that plastic arts in the narrower sense are those visual arts that involve the use of materials such as clay or plaster, that can be moulded or modulated in some way, often in three dimensions.
- "Pliant" Exposition de Patrick Saytour artiste Français à la Galerie From point to point.jpg
Patrick Saytour Galerie From point to point France
Saytour Torchons Nîmes
- Edith Meusnier - Sarabande - Musée des Tissus - Lyon - hiver 2007-2008.jpg
Sarabande Musée des Tissus Lyon 2007-2008
- Edith Meusnier - Sortilège - Festival Artec - La Ferté Bernard - mai 2010.jpg
La Ferté Bernard Festival Artec 2010
- Edith Meusnier - Artefact - Bois de Belle Rivière - Québec - été 2010.jpg
Bois de Belle Rivière Québec 2010
- If it wasn't for plastic money I wouldn't have any money at all.jpg
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Plastic arts.|
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Portal/images/v' not found.
- "Merriam-Webster Online (entry for "plastic arts")". Merriam-webster.com. Retrieved 2011-10-30.
- Barnes, A. C., The Art in Painting, 3rd ed., 1937, Harcourt, Brace & World, Inc., NY. OCLC 1572753
- Bukumirovic, D. (1998). Maga Magazinovic. Biblioteka Fatalne srpkinje knj. br. 4. Beograd: Narodna knj.
- Fazenda, M. J. (1997). Between the pictorial and the expression of ideas: the plastic arts and literature in the dance of Paula Massano. N.p.
- Gerón, C. (2000). Enciclopedia de las artes plásticas dominicanas: 1844-2000. 4th ed. Dominican Republic s.n.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.