Pope Anastasius I
|Papacy began||27 November 399|
|Papacy ended||19 December 401|
|Died||19 December 401|
|Feast day||19 December|
|Other popes named Anastasius|
|Papal styles of|
Pope Anastasius I
|Reference style||His Holiness|
|Spoken style||Your Holiness|
|Religious style||Holy Father|
He was born in Rome, the son of Maximus. He condemned the writings of the Alexandrian theologian Origen shortly after their translation into Latin. He fought against these writings throughout his papacy, and in 400 he called a council to discuss them. The council agreed that Origen was not faithful to the Catholic Church.
If Origen has put forth any other writings, you are to know that they and their author are alike condemned by me. The Lord have you in safe keeping, my lord and brother deservedly held in honour.
— letter to Simplicianus, 
During his reign he also encouraged Catholics in North Africa to fight Donatism. He instructed priests to stand and bow their head as they read from the gospels. Among his friends were Augustine, Jerome, and Paulinus. Jerome speaks of him as a man of great holiness who was rich in his poverty. The New Testament canon as it is now was first listed by Athanasius in 367, in a letter written to his churches in Egypt,  He is buried in the Catacomb of Pontian.[better source needed]
- "Saint of the Day, December 19". SaintPatrickDC.org. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "Pope Anastasius I". The Ecole Glossary.
- "Letter XCV. From Pope Anastasius to Simplicianus". The Principal Works of St. Jerome.
- 12px Campbell, Thomas (1907). "Pope St. Anastasius I". Catholic Encyclopedia 1. New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- Athanasius: Select Works and Letters. Christian Classics Eternal Library. Retrieved 26 May 2015.
- "The 39th Pope, St. Anastasius". Spirituality for Today. Clemons Productions, Inc.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anastasius I (pope).|
|40x40px||Wikisource has original works written by or about:|
|Catholic Church titles|
| Succeeded by|
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.