|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011)|
Preventive maintenance (PM) has the following meanings:
- The care and servicing by personnel for the purpose of maintaining equipment and facilities in satisfactory operating condition by providing for systematic inspection, detection, and correction of incipient failures either before they occur or before they develop into major defects.
- Maintenance, including tests, measurements, adjustments, and parts replacement, performed specifically to prevent faults from occurring.
The primary goal of maintenance is to avoid or mitigate the consequences of failure of equipment. This may be by preventing the failure before it actually occurs which Planned Maintenance and Condition Based Maintenance help to achieve. It is designed to preserve and restore equipment reliability by replacing worn components before they actually fail. Preventive maintenance activities include partial or complete overhauls at specified periods, oil changes, lubrication and so on. In addition, workers can record equipment deterioration so they know to replace or repair worn parts before they cause system failure. The ideal preventive maintenance program would prevent all equipment failure before it occurs.
- Reliability centered maintenance
- Corrective maintenance
- Operational maintenance
- Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
- Predictive maintenance
- Value-driven maintenance
- Michael Quinion, PREVENTATIVE OR PREVENTIVE, World Wide Words.
- OIT Style Guide: How should I write that word? An A to Z, Office of Information Technology.
- Bobby Joseph, Letter to the Editor: What's the good word—preventive or preventative?, International Journal of Epidemiology, Vol. 30, N. 6, p. 1498.]
- Maintenance of Hydraulic Systems
- Maj. Ricky Smith, US. "Walter Reed Building 18 - It Could Happen Anywhere - So Don't Let It Happen To You".
- 12px This article incorporates public domain material from the General Services Administration document [[[:Template:If empty]] "Template:If empty"] (in support of MIL-STD-188).
- Wu, S. and Zuo, M.J. (2010). Linear and nonlinear preventive maintenance, IEEE Transactions on Reiability, Volume 59, No. 1, 2010, 242-249.de:Instandhaltung#Strategien in der Instandhaltung