Prince Ferfried of Hohenzollern
|Prince Ferfried of Hohenzollern|
File:Ferfried of Hohenzollern, born April 14, 1943.jpg|
Angela von Morgen (1968-1973)|
Eliane Etter (1977-1987)
Maja Synke Meinert (1999-2007)
|House||House of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen|
|Father||Frederick, Prince of Hohenzollern|
|Mother||Princess Margarete Karola of Saxony|
14 April 1943|
Umkirch Castle, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
Ferfried von Hohenzollern (German: Ferfried Maximilian Pius Meinrad Maria Hubert Michael Justinus Prinz von Hohenzollern) (born 14 April 1943 at Umkirch Castle, Germany) is a German aristocrat and former champion race car driver. He belongs to the Swabian or Sigmaringen branch of the Hohenzollern dynasty. The Brandenburg-Prussian branch of the family ruled the German Empire until 1918.
Ferfried is the youngest child and fourth son of Frederick, Prince of Hohenzollern and his wife Margarete Karola, daughter of the last Saxon king, Frederick Augustus III. Pope Pius XII was his godfather.
In 1971, Ferfried won the second 24-hour race at Nürburgring in Germany with a BMW 1600 Alpina. After 36 years of absence from active racing, in 2007 he raced again for the private racing team Racing Strip.com live, again in a BMW. Ferfried had about 50 wins in his career.
None of Ferfried's three marriages was considered dynastic by the House of Hohenzollern when contracted, although the first, to Angela von Morgan in 1968 (sister of Erika von Morgen, wife of Carl-Philip, Prince of Salm-Salm) was to a member of Germany's historical nobility, albeit untitled. The children of that marriage, like those of his 1977 marriage to Eliane Etter, were listed in the third section of the 2001 Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels: Fürstliche Häuser rather than in the first section, which lists dynastic Hohenzollern offspring.
Ferfried acknowledged a relationship with Tatjana Gsell publicly in 2004, which garnered extensive media coverage. Beginning 8 May 2006 the reality programme Tatjana & Foffi – Cinderella Becomes A Princess was broadcast on television, focusing on the couple's preparations for their wedding. Later in 2006, Ferfried and Tatjana announced their separation. He appeared several times alongside Birte Karalus on a German TV cooking show called Royal Dinner.
His first marriage, on 21 September 1968, was to Angela von Morgen (born 11 November 1942), daughter of Ernst von Morgen and Countess Margarethe von Schlitz gen. von Görtz. They were divorced in 1973, having had two children:
- Valerie Alexandra Henriette Margarethe (born 10 April 1969).
- Stefanie Michaela Sigrid Birgitta (born 8 May 1971).
His second marriage, on 7 April 1977, was to Eliane Etter (born 4 May 1947), daughter of Dr. Hans Etter and Irmgard Zosso. They were divorced in 1987, having had two children:
- Henriette Annabelle Gabriele Adrienne (born 26 March 1978).
- Moritz Johannes Axel Peter Meinrad (born 5 May 1980).
In 1999 he married Maja Synke Meinert (born 8 October 1971). They were divorced in early March 2007.
Auto Racing Results
- 16 June 1968, Hockenheim. Germany (GT), Porsche 911 T, 1st
- 23 June 1968, DARM Mainz-Finthen, Germany (GT+1.6), Porsche 911 T, 1st
- 18 August 1968, GP Brno. Czech Republic, Porsche 911, 3rd
- 8 September 1968, DARM Ulm-Laupheim, Germany (GT+1.6/TS+1.6), Porsche 911 T, 3rd
- 25 May 1969, GP Brno, Czech Republic, BMW 1600, 3rd
- 31 August 1969, ETCC Zandvoort, Netherlands (Div.2), BMW 1600, 4th
- 1969 European Touring Car Championship, 3rd
- 27 June 1971, Nürburgring, Germany, BMW 2002 Alpina, 1st
Translator's note: These are in German.
- Die Welt, 28. Dezember 2006
- ADAC Zurich Nürburgring. Germany
- Enache, Nicolas. La Descendance de Marie-Therese de Habsburg. ICC, Paris, 1996. pp. 85, 217, 233. French.
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstliche Häuser. Band XVI. "Hohenzollern". C.A. Starke Verlag, 2001, pp.35, 40, 299, 562, 573-574. ISBN 3-7980-0824-8.
- Prinz Ferfried von Hohenzollern geschieden, tikonline.de, 6. März 2007
- Ferfried von Hohenzollern (DriverDB)
- Ferfried of Hohenzollern at the Internet Movie Database
- Prince Ferfried at the Geneall Database (German)
- Official site of the imperial House of Germany and royal House of Prussia
- Official site of the princely House of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (German)
- Genealogy of the Hohenzollern (German)
- Auto Racing Results (1968 - 1971)