Province of Hohenzollern
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
The Province of Hohenzollern (German: Provinz Hohenzollern) or Hohenzollernsche Lande ("Hohenzollern lands") was a de facto province of the Kingdom of Prussia. It was created in 1850 by joining the principalities of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen and Hohenzollern-Hechingen after both formerly independently ruling Catholic princely lines of the House of Hohenzollern had handed over their sovereignty to Prussia, ruled by the Protestant Hohenzollern branch. Both used the same dynastic coat of arms as the one used by the Prussian royal family.
Hohenzollern consisted of a single district, the Regierungsbezirk Sigmaringen; the capital was Sigmaringen. The last census recorded 74,151 inhabitants in 1939. While Hohenzollern enjoyed all the rights of a full-fledged province of Prussia, including representation in the Prussian parliament, its military matters were governed by the Rhine Province. The Regierungsbezirk Sigmaringen was further subdivided into seven Oberamtsbezirke, although only four of these remained by 1925, when they were merged and re-divided as two new Kreise.
After regional reforms in 1973 the Hohenzollern borders were eliminated, with the region now belonging to the districts of Sigmaringen and Zollernalbkreis, which also contain land that was not previously Hohenzollern territory.
Map of Hohenzollern in purple, c. 1930
- Hohenzollernsche Lande Tafel.jpg
Hohenzollern emblem with the eagle of the Free State of Prussia
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.