Opened in 1942, it was used by both the Royal Air Force and United States Army Air Forces. During the war it was used primarily as a transport airfield. After the war it was closed in 1946. Today the remains of the airfield are located on private property being used as agricultural fields.
Ramsbury was known as USAAF Station AAF-469 for security reasons by the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) during the war, and by which it was referred to instead of location. It's USAAF Station Code was "RY".
64th Troop Carrier Group
The airfield itself was fairly complete when the first operational users of Ramsbury arrived. The USAAF Twelfth Air Force 64th Troop Carrier Group, equipped with Douglas C-47s and C-53s arrived from Westover Army Airfield, Massachusetts on 18 August 1942. Operational squadrons of the group were:
- 16th Troop Carrier Squadron
- 17th Troop Carrier Squadron
- 18th Troop Carrier Squadron
- 35th Troop Carrier Squadron
The unit was temporarily assigned to the VIII Air Support Command for training at Ramsbury, and the group conducted an extensive training program while flying cargo, passengers, and courier missions for several months, before leaving with paratroopers for Operation Torch, the invasion of North Africa on 9 November 1942, being deployed to Blida Airfield, Algeria.
434th/435th Troop Carrier Groups
From November 1943 to January 1944, the airfield was used by the air echelons of the 434th and 435th Troop Carrier Groups from RAF Fulbeck and RAF Langar with C-47s and C-53s. The groups conducted exercises with the 101st Airborne Division.
437th Troop Carrier Group
- 83d Troop Carrier Squadron (T2)
- 84th Troop Carrier Squadron (Z8)
- 85th Troop Carrier Squadron (90)
- 86th Troop Carrier Squadron (5K)
With the end of military control Ramsbury was returned agricultural use. By the mid-1960s, much of the concrete had been removed.
Today outlines of the main runways can be discerned on aerial photography, with the perimeter track being reduced largely to a single lane agricultural road. None of the extensive amount of dispersal pads to the southwest of the airfield remain, and there is no evidence of any of the hangars or the technical site. A VERY short piece of the end of 32 runway can be seen where the concrete is still at full width, just at the intersection of what once was the perimter track.
A rather large poultry farm has been erected at the intersection of the 32 end of the NW/SE and 02 end of the NE/SW runways. Several runoff retention ponds are visible with many metal storage silos.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Portal/images/u' not found.
- Freeman, R. Airfields of the Eighth - Then and Now. After the Battle. London, UK: Battle of Britain International Ltd., 2001. ISBN 0-9009-13-09-6.
- Freeman, Roger A. (1996) The Ninth Air Force in Colour: UK and the Continent-World War Two. After the Battle ISBN 1-85409-272-3
- Maurer, M. Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. USAF Historical Division. Washington D.C., USA: Zenger Publishing Co., Inc, 1980. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to RAF Ramsbury.|