October 8, 1912|
April 4, 2004 (aged 91)|
Ralph Kemplen (8 October 1912 – 4 April 2004) was a British film editor with more than fifty film credits between 1933 and 1982. Kemplen had a notable collaboration with director John Huston on six films between 1951 and 1966. Kemplen also directed one feature film, The Spaniard's Curse (1958).
Kemplen won the BAFTA Award for Best Editing for The Day of the Jackal (1973) and was nominated three times for the Academy Award for Best Film Editing (for Moulin Rouge (1952), Oliver! (1968), and Day of the Jackal).
The director of each film is indicated in parenthesis.
- Death on the Set (Hiscott-1935)
- The Man in the Mirror (Elvey-1936)
- Dusty Ermine (Vorhaus-1936)
- Young Man's Fancy (Stevenson-1939)
- Carnival (Haynes-1946)
- Mr. Perrin and Mr. Traill (Huntington-1948)
- The African Queen (Huston-1951)
- Moulin Rouge (Huston-1952)
- Beat the Devil (Huston-1953)
- Room at the Top (Clayton-1959)
- The Savage Innocents (Ray-1960)
- Freud (Huston-1962)
- The Night of the Iguana (Huston-1964)
- A Man for All Seasons (Zinneman-1966)
- The Bible: In the Beginning... (Huston-1966)
- Oliver! (Reed-1968)
- The Day of the Jackal (Zinneman-1973) (for which he won the 1974 BAFTA Award).
- The Great Muppet Caper (Henson-1981)
- The Dark Crystal ([Henson & Oz-1982)
- "Obituary: Ralph Kemplen". The Times(London). 14 April 2004. Subscription required.
- Perkins, Roy; Stollery, Martin (2002). British Film Editors: The Heart of the Movie. BFI Publishing.
Credits for Room at the Top (d. Jack Clayton, 1958) and A Man for All Seasons (d. Fred Zinnemann, 1966) consolidated Kemplen's reputation as a great dialogue editor. On the latter film Zinnemann invited Kemplen to contribute comments not only on the script but also on rehearsals.
- Piper, Jim (2014). The Film Appreciation Book: The Film Course You Always Wanted to Take. Skyhorse Publishing, Inc. ISBN 9781621534471. Piper uses a segment from The African Queen that was edited by Kemplen in order to illustrate "Establishing Shots and the Classic Sequence".
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.