|Directed by||Rajeev Nath|
|Produced by||Group 10|
|Story by||Sudip Kumar|
|Edited by||Babu Ratnam|
Group Ten Entertainments Pvt. Ltd
|Distributed by||Maxlab Release|
Rasam (English: Taste) is a 2015 Malayalam-language Indian feature film based on food, tastes, restaurants and catering services. Directed and co-written by Rajeev Nath, produced under the banner of Group Ten Entertainments in association with Chaya Films. The screenplay is done by Nedumudi Venu, Rajeev Nath and Sudip Kumar, while story is written by Sudip. It stars Indrajith Sukumaran in lead role and Nedumudi Venu, Devan and Varuna Shetty in supporting roles. Mohanlal had a cameo appearance as himself. The film was shot in Qatar and Dubai. Indrajith plays Balu who is reluctant to take is father's tradition of cooking.
The film takes place in Doha where Shekar Menon, a business tycoon arranges his daughter's wedding to be done in a traditional Kerala style feast. Superstar Mohanlal invites Valliyottu thirumeni to take up the catering for the wedding reception of the star's close friend Shekar Menon's daughter Janaki. Vasudevan, Balu and team fly to Dubai. But circumstances force Balu to take over from his father. As the name suggests, food forms the central character in the film.
The principal photography commenced on January 8, 2014 at Doha. Filming underway at the locations in Doha, Dubai, Qatar, Kochi, Ottapalam and Thiruvananthapuram. The film released in January 23, 2015 and failed to impress the critics, most critics rated the film average.
- Indrajith Sukumaran as Bala Shankar
- Varuna Shetty as Janaki, Menon's daughter
- Nedumudi Venu as Valliyottu Thirumeni
- Mohanlal as Himself (cameo)
- Devan as Shekar Menon
- Jagadish as Abdhu
- Nandhu as Govindan Nair
- Mythili as Shahida
- Ambika Mohan as Mrs. Thirumeni
- Rajesh Rajan as Job
- Dileep Shankar
- Albert Alex as Josemon
- Satheesh Menon as Family Doctor
- Nihal Pillai as Manu
- Bindu K Menon as Mrs Menon
The principal photography began on January 8, 2014 at Doha. The shooting was held in the restaurant Spice Boat, which is indeed the hotel owned by Mallika Sukumaran. The crew returned from Doha only by 13 January. The rest of the shoot will be progressing in Ottappalam. A Thiruvathirakkali with 300 artists will be shot in Dubai. The film is shooting in and around the Gulf regions. The shooting in Dubai is expected to be wrapped up within 2 weeks and the team will shoot in Ottapalam. On May, the film has completed its shoot in Doha, Dubai, Kochi, and Thiruvananthapuram.
Reportedly Mohanlal is casted as himself in the movie. In the film, he is the friend of a leading businessman in Dubai. "Mohanlal has a pivotal role in Rasam as he is the one who mentors Indrajith in his work at the wedding in Dubai", says Rajeev. After Baba Kalyani, Chotta Mumbai, Flash and Twenty:20, Indrajith Sukumaran is sharing screen space with Mohanlal. Indrajith plays the role of a Namboothiri cook (Balu) who runs a restaurant in Kerala. And Balu is a B.Tech & MBA holder. His father, a popular cook famous for preparing delicious food is invited to Doha to do catering service for the marriage of the daughter of a rich man, he follows him as a chef in charge.
Varuna Shetty had done the heroine in the film, which is her first Malayalam debut. She has been launched by director Ranjith Bajpe for his TULU film 'NIREL MOVIE'. She is one main female lead in the movie as janaki, the Dubai-based business tycoon R.J Menon's daughter. It is her wedding which centres the main plot of the film. Menon calls renowned chefs from kerala to make a traditional Sadya for her wedding. Mythili is the other female lead in the film. Nihal Pillai is playing a villain role in the film.
|Soundtrack album by Job Kurian|
The soundtrack consists of 3 songs composed by Job Kurian and sung by K. S. Chithra, Kavalam Sreekumar and Job Kurian himself. Lyrics are penned by Kavalam Narayana Panicker. Rasam makes the debut of musician turned composer Job Kurian. Previously he had co-composed the background score of a Kannada film. K.S Chithra had sung a traditional thiruvathira song and Kavalam Sreekumar sung a fun song on the occasion of a feast. Job Kurian's is a travel track in the drum and base genre with Indian elements.
|1.||"Dhanumasa Palazhi"||Kavalam Narayana Panicker||K. S. Chithra||3:55|
|2.||"Sarasa Sarasaro"||Kavalam Narayana Panicker||Kavalam Sreekumar||3:16|
|3.||"Mayamo Marimayamo"||Kavalam Narayana Panicker||Job Kurian||4:14|
- "Malayalam film ‘Rasam’, shot in Qatar to release soon". The New Indian Express. January 5, 2015. Retrieved January 9, 2015.
- "Mohanlal Joins The Sets Of Rasam". rediff. 14 January 2014. Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- "Mohanlal Joins The Sets Of Rasam". indiaeveryday. 13 January 2014. Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- 'Rasam' from January 23rd.
- "Malayalam film shot in Qatar to release soon". Yahoo! Maktoob News. January 4, 2015. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- Nicy (27 January 2015). "'Rasam' Review Round Up: Mohanlal-Indrajith Starrer Fails to Impress Critics". International Business Times.
- "Mohanlal Joins The Sets Of Rasam". filmibeat.com. 9 January 2014.
- "'Rasam' started rolling". nowrunning.com. 9 January 2014. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "'Rasam' shooting completed". nowrunning.com. 8 May 2014.
- "Mohanlal and Indrajith together again". nowrunning.com. 29 November 2013. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Rasam Synopsis". nowrunning.com. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Varuna Shetty to be the heroine in 'Rasam'". nowrunning.com. 10 February 2014. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Varuna Shetty To Pair Opposite To Indrajith In ‘Rasam’". indiancinemagallery.com. 6 February 2014. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- I was in awe of Mohanlal but was never intimidated by him
- "Rasam (2014) Soundtrack". Musicindiaonline. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "Interview with job Kurian". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 October 2014.