|This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
Prof. Ravindra Nanda
|Born||Layallpur, British India|
Ravindra Nanda (born 19 February 1943) is the professor and Head of Craniofacial Department and Chair of the Division of Orthodontics at the University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine. He is the founding faculty of School of Dental Medicine and has been at the University of Connecticut since 1972 and holds a UConn Orthodontic Chair Alumni. He is an innovator of various appliances in orthodontics.
Dr. Nanda was born in Layallpur, British India. He is the youngest of seven children. His father, a family physician, practiced for 30 years there. He has two brothers, Dr. Ram Nanda and Dr. Surender Nanda, who are orthodontists in the United States of America. Dr. Nanda did his Post Graduation in Orthodontics under his elder brother Dr. Ram Nanda, who was the head of department of orthodontics of Kings George's Medical College.
Dr. Nanda received Bachelors and Masters degrees in dentistry and orthodontics from King George's Medical College, Lucknow University. His thesis on cephalometric Study of the dentofacial complex of north Indians was selected for the scholarship research grant from Indian council Of medical research and was published in "Angle Orthodontist" in 1969 January issue. He joined University of Nymegen, Netherlands in 1967 and received his PHD in 1969. Dr. Nanda came over to the new dental school at Loyola in Chicago in 1970,after being a fellow and assistant professor in orthodontics with Frans van der Linden at Nijmegen. In 1972, he went to the new University, Department of Orthodontics, University of Connecticut in Farmington, CT. and received his certificate in orthodontics again, under Dr. Charles Burstone.
Nanda joined university of Connecticut in 1972 after teaching two years at Loyola University in Maywood, IL. Over the last 39 years he moved from assistant professor to full professor in 1979. He assumed the position of head of the department of Orthodontics in 1992 and was promoted to lead the Department of Craniofacial Sciences in 2004, which include the divisions of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Pediatric Dentistry, Advanced Education in General Dentistry, and Orthodontics.
Nanda is a member and past-president of the North Atlantic component of the Edward H. Angle Society of Orthodontists.Currently Nanda is the editor-in-chief of Progress in Orthodontics, the associate editor of Journal of Clinical Orthodontics and on the editorial board of nine national and international Orthodontic Journals. He has authored and edited Five textbooks and more than 160 publications and peer-reviewed journals. He has given keynote lectures in more than 40 countries and has received awards and honors from U.S and international orthodontic organizations. Most recently Dr. Nanda had honored with a Life time membership of "Indian Orthodontic Society" (IOS), at 8th APOC, New Delhi, India.
- Nanda, R The normal palate and induced cleft palate in rat embryos: An in vivo in vitro and autoradiographic study on embryological development. Gebr Janssen, Nymegen, Netherlands, Monograph pp 1–120,1969.
- Nanda, R (ed) Symposium in Orthodontics, Dental Clinics of North America WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, PA, 1981. (Translation in Japanese, Spanish, Italian, German and Greek).
- Nanda, R and Burstone, CJ (eds) Retention and Stability in Orthodontics WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, PA, 1993.
- Nanda, R (ed) Management of Complex Orthodontic Problems. Seminars in Orthodontics WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, PA, 1996.
- Nanda, R Biomechanics in Clinical Orthodontics WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, PA, 1996.
- Nanda, R (ed) Adult Orthodontics. Dental Clinics of North America Volume 1. WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, PA, 40:11, 811-1016,1996.
- Nanda, R (ed) Adult Orthodontics. Dental Clinics of North America, Volume 11. WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, PA, 41:1-154, 1997.
- Nanda,R Biomechanic and Esthetic Strategies in Clinical Orthodontics. WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, PA 2005.
- Nanda, R., Uribe F., Temporary Anchorage Devices in Orthodontics, Mosby Co., Philadelphia, PA. 2009.
- Nanda, R. Kapila S., Current Therapy in Orthodontics, Mosby Co. Philadelphia, PA 2010.