|A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (September 2014)|
Rehabilitation International (RI Global) is an international disability rights organization with member organizations in every region of the world. The RI secretariat is located in New York City.
Founded in 1922, RI is a network of people with disabilities, service providers, government agencies, academics, researchers and advocates working to improve the quality of life of people with disabilities. A major focus of its activity since 1999 has been establishing the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
RI maintains commissions of specialists and experts on various issues in disability. Represented by the RI Chairs and Vice Chairs, the commissions are thematic work groups which assist in developing and expanding program activities in accordance with RI’s strategic goals.
RI commissions include:
- Education Commission
- Health and Function Commission
- International Commission on Technology and Accessibility (ICTA)
- Leisure, Recreation and Physical Activities Commission
- Policy and Service Commission
- Social Commission
- Work and Employment Commission
RI works with its members, partners, experts and regional leaders to create and carry out projects with the following objectives across the globe:
- Disaster Management
- Rehabilitation & Habilitation
- Poverty Reduction
- Implementation of the UN CRPD
- "About RI Global". Rehabilitation International. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- "Map of Rehabilitation International Secretariat". Google Maps. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- Groce, Nora E. (2002). From charity to disability rights: global initiatives of Rehabilitation International 1922-2002. http://books.google.com/books/about/From_charity_to_disability_rights.html?id=9mlHAAAAMAAJ: Rehabilitation International.
- "Finding the Gaps: A Comparative Analysis of Disability Laws in the United States to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD), Rehabilitation International (RI) 21st World Congress". National Council on Disability. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- "International Symbol of Access". Encyclopedia of American Disability History. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- "RI Commissions". riglobal.org. Rehabilitation International.
- "Rehabilitation International". U.S. International Council on Disabilities.