Rowing at the 1900 Summer Olympics
At the 1900 Summer Olympics in Paris, four events in rowing were contested, marking the introduction of the sport to the Olympic program. At the inaugural 1896 Games, the rowing competition was cancelled due to strong winds.
- Despite information from some sources DutchNews IOC continues attribute this medal to mixed team as it must be shown in IOC database IOC-DB-1, IOC-DB-2
- Brockmann was the coxswain for the Dutch team in the semifinal, but not in the final. He is considered a gold medallist by the IOC and is listed in that organization's medal database.
- Due to wrangling about who would be allowed to compete in the coxed four final, two finals were held for that competition. Both finals are considered Olympic championships by the International Olympic Committee.
- The German team changed the coxswain after the semi-final. Gustav Moths participated only in the semi-final and Max Ammermann participated in the final. However, the IOC medal database credits the bronze medal only to Gustav Moths.
A total of 108 rowers from 8 nations competed at the Paris Games:
- 22x20px Belgium (11)
- 22x20px France (47)
- 22x20px Germany (21)
- 22x20px Great Britain (1)
- 22x20px Italy (1)
- 22x20px Netherlands (13)
- 22x20px Spain (5)
- 22x20px United States (9)
|1||France France (FRA)||2||3||1||6|
|2||Germany Germany (GER)||1||0||2||3|
|3||United States United States (USA)||1||0||0||1|
|Mixed team Mixed team (ZZX)||1||0||0||1|
|5||Netherlands Netherlands (NED)||0||1||1||2|
|6||Belgium Belgium (BEL)||0||1||0||1|
|7||Great Britain Great Britain (GBR)||0||0||1||1|
In the coxed pair event, the winning Dutch crew decided, after losing their heat, that their coxswain was too heavy and they recruited a 7 year old French boy to steer the boat for the finals. The lad, name unknown, is believed to be the youngest Olympic medalist ever.
- International Olympic Committee medal winners database
- De Wael, Herman. Herman's Full Olympians: "Rowing 1900". Accessed 26 February 2006. Available electronically at .
- Mallon, Bill (1998). The 1900 Olympic Games, Results for All Competitors in All Events, with Commentary. Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers. ISBN 0-7864-0378-0.