Saint Paul Seminary (Pittsburgh)
|Saint Paul Seminary|
#REDIRECT Template:If empty *This is a redirect from a page that has been moved (renamed). This page was kept as a redirect to avoid breaking links, both internal and external, that may have been made to the old page name. For more information follow the category link.|
The coat of arms of the Diocese of Pittsburgh
|Type||Roman Catholic seminary|
|Established||1965 (51 years ago)|
|Rector||Very Rev. Joseph M. Mele|
|Medium of language||
Saint Paul Seminary is the diocesan minor seminary for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh. It is located in East Carnegie, a neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The seminary is not a degree-granting institution; seminarians in their collegiate or pre-theological studies attend classes at Duquesne University.
Previous diocesan seminaries
Bishop Michael O'Connor founded Pittsburgh's first diocesan seminary in 1844, the first year of his episcopate. St. Michael Seminary was located in Pittsburgh's Birmingham neighborhood. It was briefly discontinued for four years (1851–1856), operated for a year in Cambria County, and was finally reestablished in the Pittsburgh neighborhood of Glenwood. The seminary definitively closed in 1876 with the tumultuous creation of the Diocese of Allegheny out of the Diocese of Pittsburgh. After 1876, Pittsburgh's diocesan seminarians received instruction at Saint Vincent Seminary in Latrobe.
Seminarians during the episcopacy of Hugh C. Boyle, from 1926 to 1945, were allowed to commute to Duquesne University from home. Bishop John F. Dearden, however, ended that practice. Until the creation of Saint Paul's, Pittsburgh seminarians would attend classes at other minor seminaries in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky.
Establishment of Saint Paul's
Saint Paul's Seminary occupies the grounds and buildings of the former Saint Paul's Orphanage. The Script error: No such module "convert". campus began its connection with the Pittsburgh diocese with the establishment of the orphanage there on May 27, 1900, on "a plateau at Idlewood between Crafton and Carnegie." The orphanage operated until August 1965, when its operations were combined with those of Holy Family Institute in Emsworth. In September 1965, Bishop John Wright founded St. Paul Seminary as a minor, or "transitional," seminary on the same site.
Pittsburgh bishop David Zubik sold the diocesan bishop's mansion in Oakland in favor of a simpler apartment on the seminary's campus in 2007. Auxiliary bishop emeritus William J. Winter is also in residence.
The current rector is the Very Rev. Brian J. Welding. The current vice-rector is the Rev. Nikolas Vaskov
- Catholic Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania (1943). Catholic Pittsburgh's One Hundred Years. Chicago: Loyola University Press. p. 31.
- Catholic Pittsburgh's One Hundred Years, p. 147
- Apone, Carl (November 19, 1967). "New Look in the Seminary". Pittsburgh Press. pp. 32–36.
- Bober, Charles (August 18, 2000). "St. Paul Orphanage saved young lives during its 129 years". The Pittsburgh Catholic. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- Levin, Steve (September 27, 2007). "A bishop settles for a humbler abode". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- Widmer, Jeffrey (December 25, 2008). "Bishop David Zubik feels at home in St. Paul Seminary". Your North Hills (Trib Total Media). Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- LaRussa, Tony (May 21, 2005). "Pope accepts Winter's resignation as bishop". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- St. Paul Seminary official website
- Diocese of Pittsburgh official website
- Diocese of Pittsburgh vocations website