This page is a soft redirect.Salamis]].
View of Salamina
|Year||Salamina (town)||Salamina (municipal unit)||Salamis (island)|
Villages in the municipal unit of Salamina
Paloukia (Greek: Παλούκια, population 1,695) is located in the northeast of the island. Many ferryboats, fishing vessels and port police craft dock in this harbor. Paloukia is the base for the port police department of Salamina. Most visitors who come to Salamina first arrive at Paloukia via ferryboats that run between Paloukia and Perama or Piraeus.
The area is adjacent to the Salamis Naval Base (in Greek Nafstathmos), which is a major base of the Hellenic Navy.
Aianteio (Greek: Αιάντειο, population 4,860 as of March 16, 2011) is a large village in the southwestern part of Salamis Island and is named after Ajax, "King of the Salamis", from Homer's Iliad. The village was known as Moulki (Μούλκι) until 1915. In the region, there are churches from the 11th and 12th centuries such as Saint John and Saint Dimitrios.
Interesting places to visit are:
- the oldest church in the island, Saint John the "Kalyvitis", which dates back to the 10th century and has remarkable hagiographies, and
- the monastery of Saint Nicolas which dates back to the 18th century and is situated in a forest.
Batsi (Greek: Μπατσί) is a little community (population 212) in the north of Salamis, in the municipality of Salamis, located at the foot of a piney mountain, about Script error: No such module "convert". east of Megara.
In the mountain, there is a cave of archeological interest that has not been investigated yet. In the winter there are few tourists; it is more popular with vacationers from Athens during the summer months.
Kaki Vigla (Greek: Κακή Βίγλα) is a small community (population 236) located at the south of Salamis Island, near Aianteio. The beaches of Kaki Vigla are relatively clean and the area has pine and olive trees near the shore.
A new village, founded in 1960.
Peristeria (Greek: Περιστέρια, population 456) is a small village in the southeast of the island Script error: No such module "convert". from Salamis City. It took its name from the bird of peace, the dove (Greek: περιστέρι), because it is a calm, peaceful and isolated place, away from the cars and from noise. Another interpretation says that its name may be derived from the doves which were living and had nests in the area.
The area has a marina, which has yachts and fishing boats. The beaches of Peristeria are the cleanest of Salamis. The village is near the Cave of Euripides, associated with the famous ancient playwright.
Psili Ammos (Greek: Ψιλή Άμμος, population 271), which means Fine Sand is so named because it is covered with sand. The area is located at the northwest of the island opposite of Elefsina. In the area there is one of the oldest landmarks, the chantry of Saint Grigorios (Saint Gregory).
Steno (Greek: Στενό, population 985), which means Narrow in Greek, is a small community in the northwest of Salamis Island. The area is separated from Fanaromeni Monastery by a hill with shrubs and pine trees. The area is adjacent to the bay of Agios Georgios. Steno has wide and well-planned roads.
Vasilika (Greek: Βασιλικά, population 4,264) which means Royal is a big village located in the northwest of the island. Vasilika is the third largest area in Salamis by population after Salamis City and Aianteio. Vasilika has a sandy large beach apt for swimming.
Xeno (Greek: Ξένο, population 786) which means Foreign in English is located at the northwest of the island. The area took this name because the first residents who came to Xeno were not from Salamis but from the close areas of Piraeus.
Villages in the municipal unit of Ampelakia
Kynosoura (Greek: Κυνόσουρα), which means dog's tail (Greek: κυνός-ουρά), is a small peninsula located in the east of the island. The area probably took its name because it is long and oblong, like a dog' s tail. At the south side of area there are a few houses (population 69). At the north are the remains of an ancient tumulus thought to be the burial site of Greek warriors in the Battle of Salamis. Nearby is a dockyard, which constructs and fixes ships including oil tankers and containers.
Selinia (Greek: Σελήνια, population 2.523) is a resort located a few kilometers southeast of Salamis city. Selinia used to be the weekend resort of many Athenians due to its proximity to Piraeus and Athens. Selinia also features restaurants and taverns.
Salamis island has eleven primary schools (ten public and one private), four high schools and four lycees. The majority of students are proficient in school, and usually the pupils (above age 13) have acquired diplomas and certificates in English, French or in German like ECCE, FCE, CPE, ECPE and others. Many students from Salamis island also possess many computer skills. Many students also study abroad, usually in countries such as the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, and France. In the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, the pupils went to Italy for studies since it was close to Greece.
On Salamis island, a visitor can find many bars, cafeterias, beaches, shops, with different views of Salamis Bay. The main cafeterias and bars are based at the area of Agios Nikolaos, which is at the west suburbs of Salamis city. The district took its name from the church of the same name. Taverns and inns are in every place of the island with their local food and dishes. The shops are opened from 8:00 up until 2:00 in the morning and at 5:30 to 9:00 in the afternoons during weekdays (also open from 9:00 to 1:30 in the mornings and 6:00 to 8:30 in the afternoons during Saturdays). Salamina has a plethora of shops for clothes, souvenirs, appliances, vehicles, and computers.
Local newspapers and magazines
|Landmark||Year of construction||Location|
|Faneromeni Monastery||15th century||Faneromeni|
|Chantry of Saint George||around 1250||Agios Georgios|
|Mycenaean city of Salamis||13th century BC||Kanakia|
|Ancient city and port of Salamis||5th - 1st centuries BC||Ampelakia|
|Fighters tomb of the naval Battle of Salamis||5th century BC||Ampelakia, Kynosoura|
|Circular funerary||4th century BC||Kolones|
|Euripideio Theatre||1993||in suburbs of Salamis City (in hill Patris)|
|Church of Saint Dimitrios||1806||center of Salamis City (in hononymous district)|
|The Cave of Euripides||450 BC||at south Salamis Island (near Peristeria)|
|The Cottage of Angelos Sikelianos||1935||Faneromeni|
|The Stone Lighthouse||1901||Peristeria|
|The bust of Georgios Karaiskakis||1982||center of Salamis City (in Vourkari district)|
|The Windmills||19th century||in suburbs of Salamis City (in a hill)|
|Chantry of Prophet Elias||early of 20th century||Salamis City (in a stone hill)|
|Chantry of Saint Grygorios||12th century||Psili Ammos|
|The Stony small Theater||1990||Selinia|
|The City Hall of Salamis||2000||Salamis City|
|The Monastery of Saint Nicolaos||17th century||at south Salamis Island (near Kanakia)|
|The Church of Saint John the Kalyvitis||11th century||at south Salamis Island (near Kanakia)|
|The Folklore Museum||2000||it ' s lodging at Salamis City Hall|
|Archaeological museum of Salamis||2013||Salamis City|
|The Mansion of Galeos Family||19th century||at Salamis center (at Agios Minas district)|
|The Church of Saint Minas||1869||at Salamis City (at Agios Minas district)|
Mythological and ancient people
- Ajax the Great, the legendary king of Salamis island, son of Telamon and half-brother of Teucer
- Cychreus, the first king of Salamis Island
- Euripides, tragedian (480 BC - 406 BC)
- Telamon, the king of Salamis Island, father of Ajax the Great and Teucer
- Teucer, the half-brother of Ajax the Great, son of Telamon, warrior of Trojan War, and founder of the city-state of Salamis, Cyprus.
- Georgios Karaiskakis (c. 1780-1827), Greek War of Independence hero, is buried on Salamis.
- Polychronis Lempesis (1848–1913), painter
- Memos Mpegnis (1974- ), actor
- Dimitrios Mpogris (1890–1964), playwright
- Giorgos Papasideris (1902–1977), country singer, composer and lyricist
- Angelos Sikelianos (1884–1951), poet and playwright, whose cottage was near the Monastery of Faneromeni.
Twin towns / sister cities
- Kaki Vigla beach in Salamina.jpg
Kaki Vigla beach
- Kaki vigla 02.JPG
Kaki Vigla beach
- Kaki vigla 03.JPG
Kaki Vigla Gulf
- "Detailed census results 2011" (in Greek).
- Place-Names in Classical Mythology: Greece, Robert Eugene Bell, ABC-CLIO, 1989, ISBN 0-87436-507-4
- "Salamis", Oxford Dictionary of the Classical World, Ed. John Roberts. Oxford University Press, 2007.
- Greece, Blue Guide series, Stuart Rossiter, Ernest Benn, 1981
- Iliad 2.557-558
- Kilkis (Battleship, 1914-1941), Naval Historical Center
- Lemnos (Battleship, 1914-1941), Naval Historical Center
- One-sixth of houses are for vacation use, Kathimerini, 4-19-2006
- Salamina, so near yet so unknown, Polyxeni Athanassoulia, Kathimerini, 9-7-2006
- Salamis, Howstuffworks encyclopedia
- Salamis official website[dead link]
- Salamina, Anatropes newspaper site (in Greek)
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior Invalid language code.
- Jochalas, Titos P. (1971): Über die Einwanderung der Albaner in Griechenland: Eine zusammenfassene Betrachtung ["On the immigration of Albanians to Greece: A summary"]. München: Trofenik.
- Settlements (Dímos Salamínas, Municipality), citypopulation.de
- Name changes of settlements in Greece
- Newspapers and magazines, Salamis official website (in Greek)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012)|
|40x40px||Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article Salamis (Greece).|
- Official website of Municipality of Salamina Invalid language code. Invalid language code.
- Official website of Municipality of Ampelakia Invalid language code.
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).