|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2008)|
Science hero is a term coined by Alan Moore in his work for America's Best Comics to describe fantastic heroes. This includes those that have a science fiction explanation for their powers, as well as magical and non-powered characters. The term is used extensively throughout the ABC titles, especially in his police procedural series, Top Ten, as well as in Terra Obscura. The term is a nod to the pulp heroes.
Some known science heroes:
- Greyshirt – A smart, skilled and tenacious fighter who sports a complete bodysuit made of chainmail, walking cane fitted with power grappling line
- Jack B. Quick – Inventive boy genius
- Tom Strong – An inventive genius giant in peak physical condition, Strong maintains his physical health through the regular consumption of a mysterious herb called the goloka root. He is an explorer with a vast personal wealth, and has contributed greatly to the technology available in Millennium City.
- The Five Swell Guys from Promethea
- Kenneth – Psychic
- Marv – Genius
- Roger – Super-strong woman
- Stan – Mechanical genius
- Bob – Team leader
- Jonni Future – Space adventurer. Inherited a universal translator helmet, a fish-shaped spaceship and a ray gun along with other 'pulp style' equipment from her uncle Johnny Future
- Promethea – Magical avatar
- Cobweb – Socialite adventurer
- First American – Parodic superhero
- Splash Brannigan – Bombastic ink genie
America's Best is a fictional team of "science heroes" from America's Best Comics (hence their name). Much like the Avengers or Justice League of America the team is composed of heroes whose individual adventures feature in other books. All the characters were created by Alan Moore with their respective artists, with the exception of Jonni Future, co-created by Steve Moore and Art Adams.
Members have included:
The team has been mentioned in other ABC comics (especially Tom Strong) and was seen in pages of Tom Strong and Promethea but has never featured in its own title or its own stories - possibly because the characters involved are absurdly incompatible.
- Paul Saveen – Tom Strong's archenemy
- Lapis Lazuli – Psychotic murderer
- Ingrid Weiss and her Nazi cohorts – Nazi female super-soldiers
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.