|87 – Scott Barry|
File:Scott Barry 2009.jpg|
Barry in 2009.
August 3, 1976|
Battle Creek, Michigan
|MLB debut||June 4, 2006|
|Career highlights and awards|
Scott Adam Barry (August 3, 1976) is currently an umpire in Major League Baseball (MLB). Scott made his debut as an MLB reserve umpire in 2006, and 2011 was his first full-time season as an MLB umpire. In 2011, Barry was one of two MLB umpires (the other being Brian O'Nora) who were selected to officiate the MLB-All Stars Taiwan series; Barry and O'Nora were joined by two Taiwanese umpires for the games.
In 2007, Barry was the replacement umpire for Mike Winters after the latter was suspended for his part in an altercation with then-San Diego Padres outfielder Milton Bradley. Winters had allegedly profanely insulted Bradley prior to the altercation in which Bradley tore his ACL.
On August 19, 2010, during a game between the Atlanta Braves and the Washington Nationals, Barry ejected Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman for tossing his bat after a strikeout. Barry also ejected manager Jim Riggleman for continuing to argue after Zimmerman's ejection. Zimmerman later claimed that he was frustrated for striking out, but that "Barry believed the bat and helmet tossing... was directed at the umpire". It was the second consecutive night with a Nationals ejection by Barry, as he had tossed 14-time All-Star catcher Iván Rodríguez on August 18 for disputing a check-swing strike call.
On August 24, 2010, Barry ejected Philadelphia Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard in a 16-inning game against the Houston Astros. With two outs in the bottom of the 14th inning, Barry ruled that Howard had swung at two strikes on check-swings with two outs. As Howard stared toward 3B Umpire Barry, Barry mimicked Howard's check swing to show Howard the extent of his swing; After incorrectly determining that Howard swung on a check swing for strike three, Howard threw his bat toward the dugout, prompting Barry to eject Howard for throwing his equipment. Barry also ejected Ross Gload, who was on the disabled list at the time, for arguing from the dugout. The Phillies, out of bench players, brought in starting pitcher Roy Oswalt to play left field after moving regular outfielder Raúl Ibañez to Howard's position. Asked to comment both after the game and after the August 25 contest, both Barry and Sam Holbrook referred to Major League Baseball policy which restricts them from commenting on ejection situations, even though no such rule existed.
- "Resilient Taiwan drop All-Stars series finale 6-4", Taipei Times, November 7, 2011
- Bloom, Barry M. (September 26, 2007). "Umpire in Bradley incident suspended". Major League Baseball. Retrieved August 26, 2010.
- Kilgore, Adam (August 19, 2010). "Heyward's walk-off single sends Braves past Nationals". The Washington Post. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- Ladson, Bill (August 19, 2010). "Zim, Riggleman ejected from Nats' loss". Nationals.MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- "Prado returns in style, as Braves pound Nats 10–2". Access North Georgia. August 18, 2010. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- Fitzpatrick, Frank (August 29, 2010). "Inside Baseball: Veteran umps weigh in on controversies". Philadelphia Inquirer. Archived from the original on August 29, 2010. Retrieved August 29, 2010.
- "Houston Astros - Philadelphia Phillies Box Scores, Game Results & Summary". USA Today. August 24, 2010. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- Zolecki, Todd (August 24, 2010). "Phils rally late, lose memorable affair in 16". Phillies.MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- Anastasia, Phil (August 26, 2010). "Irked fans give umpiring crew a less-than-welcome reception". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Archived from the original on August 27, 2010. Retrieved August 26, 2010.