Adverts

Open Access Articles- Top Results for Seale, Alabama

Seale, Alabama

</th></tr>
Seale, Alabama
Unincorporated community
The Old Russell County Courthouse
The Old Russell County Courthouse

Coordinates: 32°17′51″N 85°10′08″W / 32.29750°N 85.16889°W / 32.29750; -85.16889Coordinates: 32°17′51″N 85°10′08″W / 32.29750°N 85.16889°W / 32.29750; -85.16889{{#coordinates:32|17|51|N|85|10|08|W|type:city_region:US-AL |primary |name=

}}
Country United States
State Alabama
County Russell
Elevation 341 ft (104 m)
Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6)
 • Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5)
Area code(s) 334
GNIS feature ID 153358[1]

Seale is an unincorporated community in Russell County, Alabama, United States. It was the county seat from 1868 until 1935, and is currently home to Russell County High School and middle school. The former Russell County courthouse, built in 1868, is located in the town.[2]

History

Seale had a population of 343 in 1950. Its main product was turpentine.[2] The turpentine business is no longer in operation. From its establishment to present day, it is a rural farm and cattle community. During the 1960s a lot of military personnel assigned to Ft. Benning and deployed to South Vietnam during the Vietnam War settled there and brought with them a new generation. The small school of Chavala swelled with students during that period. The Court House that is of historical value, lay unoccupied and in bad need of repair during that period.

Geography

Seale is located in southeastern Alabama along U.S. Route 431 and Alabama State Route 26 in the rural central portion of Russell County approximately Script error: No such module "convert". southwest of Columbus, Georgia and Script error: No such module "convert". north of Eufaula.

Notable resident

References

  1. ^ "Seale". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 
  2. ^ a b Columbia-Lippincott Gazeteer (1952 text) p. 1724


Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.