|Role||National origin|| Manufacturer
||First flight|| Introduction
||Primary user||Number built|| Unit cost
This page is a soft redirect.
$125,000 in 1931
Design and development
Sikorsky designed the S-40 in response to a request from Juan Trippe, president of Pan American Airways, for a larger passenger carrying airplane. The S-40s could carry 38 passengers, a significant increase over the S-38's capacity of eight passengers. The aircraft featured a pantry with an electric refrigerator and stove as well as beautifully appointed smoking lounge with book-ended mahogany wood paneling. Six life rafts were carried on board. Despite its significant capacity increase, the S-40s were not the most aerodynamic aircraft due in large part to the numerous flying wires and strut braces that were used as an exterior support framework, hence the nickname "Flying Forest". Only three were built as Sikorsky was designing (during the maiden flight of the S-40) and building the more modern S-42 as a replacement aircraft.
- NC80V - Caribbean Clipper
- NC81V - American Clipper
- NC752V - Southern Clipper
In 1935 a new version, the Sikorsky S-40A, was created by upgrading the original three aircraft. Their Script error: No such module "convert". Pratt & Whitney R-1860 Hornet B engines were replaced by smaller, heavily supercharged Script error: No such module "convert". R-1690 Hornet T2D1 engines, the landing gear was eliminated, and the maximum weight was slightly increased.
Passenger carrying service was initiated on the November 19, 1931, with a S-40 piloted by Charles Lindbergh, flying from Miami, Florida to the Panama Canal Zone with stops at Cienfuegos, Cuba; Kingston, Jamaica and Barranquilla, Colombia.
The S-40 was Pan American's first large flying boat. The American Clipper served as the flagship of Pan Am's clipper fleet and this aircraft model was the first to earn the popular designation of "Clipper" or "Pan Am Clipper". The three S-40s served without incident during their civilian lives, flying a total of over 10 million miles. They were turned over to the US Navy during World War II and were used as trainers for four-engined flight instruction. All three of the S-40s were eventually retired and scrapped starting in 1943.
- Crew: six
- Capacity: 38 passengers
- Length: Script error: No such module "convert".
- Wingspan: Script error: No such module "convert".
- Height: Script error: No such module "convert".
- Wing area: Script error: No such module "convert".
- Empty: Script error: No such module "convert".
- Loaded: Script error: No such module "convert".
- Maximum takeoff: lb (kg)
- Powerplant: 4x Pratt & Whitney R-1860 Hornet B radial engines, 575 hp (429 kW) each
- Maximum speed: Script error: No such module "convert".
- Range: Script error: No such module "convert".
- Service ceiling: Script error: No such module "convert".
- Rate of climb: ft/min (m/min)
- Wing loading: 18 lb/ft² (89 kg/m²)
- Power/Mass: 0.07 hp/lb (0.11 kW/kg)
- Related lists
- Popular Aviation, December 1931, p. 89.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sikorsky S-40.|
- "World's Largest Amphibian Takes Flight", Popular Science, October 1931
- The Sikorsky S-40 in the film Flying Down to Rio
- "Huge Amphibian Will Carry Forty-Six Passengers" Popular Mechanics, July 1931 article and photos of construction of first S-40.
- "This Sea Going Airliner Is Like A Clipper Ship", Popular Mechanics, September 1931, early cutaway drawing on announcement of construction
- "Luxuries Found In Air Travel On Huge U.S. Planes", Popular Mechanics, July 1932, interior of S-40 showing passenger accommodations
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).