Society for Disability Studies
- Not to be confused with the political activist group Students for a Democratic Society (SDS). The Society for Disability Studies often uses the abbreviation "SDS" to refer to itself.
The Society for Disability Studies is a transnational academic network of disability studies practitioners. It often abbreviates its name to SDS even though such an abbreviation often continues to be used by academics and political scientists to describe the Students for a Democratic Society organisation in the United States. The society's overall goal is to promote disability studies as a serious academic discipline on par with philosophy, the social sciences, and similar fields..
The society holds an annual conference and publishes a quarterly peer-reviewed journal, the Disability Studies Quarterly. The journal is published exclusively online. Two awards have been established by the society "to honor individuals who have shown dedication to Disability studies": the Senior Scholar Award and the Irving K. Zola Award for Emerging Scholars in Disability Studies.
Definition of disability studies
In 1993 the society adopted an official definition of "Disability Studies":
"... examines the policies and practices of all societies to understand the social, rather than the physical or psychological determinants of the experience of disability. Disability Studies has been developed to disentangle impairments from the myths, ideology and stigma that influence social interaction and social policy. The scholarship challenges the idea that the economic and social statuses and the assigned roles of people with disabilities are the inevitable outcomes of their condition."
- About SDS | Society for Disability Studies. Disstudies.org. Retrieved on 2010-11-21.
- Annual Conference | Society for Disability Studies. Disstudies.org (2008-06-21). Retrieved on 2010-11-21.
- Disability Studies Quarterly. Dsq-sds.org. Retrieved on 2010-11-21.
- Disability Studies Quarterly | Society for Disability Studies. Disstudies.org. Retrieved on 2010-11-21.
- SDS Awards | Society for Disability Studies. Disstudies.org. Retrieved on 2010-11-21.
- Community Rehabilitation and Disability Studies, University of Calgary. Crds.org. Retrieved on 2010-11-21.
- http://www.disstudies.org (Official website)
- http://www.dsq-sds.org/ (Disability Studies Quarterly Journal website)
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found. Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.