South African Maritime Safety Authority
SAMSA via the administration and/or management of all things marine related is in effect the governing authority and as such is required to investigate maritime accidents/incidents & to provide various marine related services both on behalf of Government as well as to Government.
Overview of services 
To & on behalf of Government:
- Advise Government on maritime issues relating to or affecting South Africa
- Administer current legislation & policies, submit additional proposals thereon as & when required so as to flag State Implementation
- Represent South Africa at international forums, liaise with foreign governments & other International institutions on behalf of South African Government
- On behalf of the Minister of Transport liaise with other South African institutions & various State Departments
- Administration of government maritime contracts
- Provide a maritime Search and Rescue (SAR) capability within the South African area of responsibility - via the management (on behalf of DOT) of the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC)
- Conduct Accident investigations and provide Emergency Casualty Response
- Control of State Ports, including management of the DOT contracted pollution prevention and response capability
To Maritime Industry (local & International):
- Conduct Statutory surveys and issue Safety certification of vessels
- Certification of Seafarers
- Provide Assistance and advice on maritime legislation
- Provide advice & grant approval in construction and refitting of vessels, including the evaluation & approval of fittings & equipment used.
- Consultancy to industry on technical matters, safety and qualifications
- Safety equipment approval
- Port State Control Inspections
- Inspections of ships and cargoes of timber, grain and hazardous goods
- Accreditation of maritime training institutions and maritime training programmes
- Monitoring of South African seafarers’ welfare and conditions of service
- Provision of maritime safety information to shipping & ensuring a reliable radio service
- Ensuring that navigational aids are in place around the South African coastline
- Assimilation and maintenance of shipping information and statistics
- "About Us". SAMSA. 1998-04-01. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- "Overview of Services". SAMSA. 1998-04-01. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "Contact Us". SAMSA. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- "Only foreign ships transport SA's exports". Mail & Guardian. SAPA. 1 October 2013. Archived from the original on 22 January 2014. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "SA Agulhas now a training vessel". DefenceWeb. 2012-07-05. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.