Southern League (baseball)
Southern League logo
|No. of teams||10|
|Most recent champion(s)||Jacksonville Suns|
The Southern League is a minor league baseball league which operates in the Southern United States. It is classified a Double-A league. It acquired its name in 1964, after the South Atlantic League, which had started in 1936, renamed itself to Southern League.
The original Southern League was formed in
- REDIRECT Template:Baseball year and shut down in
- REDIRECT Template:Baseball year. A new league, the Southern Association, was formed in
- REDIRECT Template:Baseball year, consisting of twelve teams. The Association shut down after the
- REDIRECT Template:Baseball year campaign.
- REDIRECT Template:Baseball year, the original South Atlantic League (nicknamed the "Sally League" and not related to the current league of the same name, formerly the Western Carolinas League) changed its name to the Southern League. The original South Atlantic League was a mid- to higher-classification circuit that played from 1904 to 1917, 1919 to 1930 (when it was known as the South Atlantic Association), 1936 to 1942, and 1946 to 1963. The old South Atlantic League grew from Class C status to Class B (through 1942) and then Class A (until 1962). In its final season, it was elevated to Double-A.
The Southern League is divided into two divisions, North and South. Before 2005, the divisions were East and West, but the move of the Greenville Braves to Mississippi after the 2004 season led to a realignment. The current league president is Lori Webb; the position was held by Steve DeSalvo as interim President for a few months due to the March 2012 death of former major league first baseman Don Mincher, who had held the position from 2000 to 2011 (the first year as an interim President).
The Southern League maintains its headquarters in the Atlanta suburb of Marietta, Georgia. Starting in the 2012 season, the Carolina Mudcats relocated to Pensacola, Florida to become the Pensacola Blue Wahoos. They retain their Cincinnati Reds affiliation.
In 2015, Biloxi, Mississippi will join the league, replacing Huntsville. Biloxi may not be ready for the move, however, because MGM Park is not expected to be ready for opening day 2015. The team may play its games in another city, perhaps a final year in Huntsville.
|North||Birmingham Barons||Chicago White Sox||Birmingham, Alabama||Regions Field||8,500 |
|Chattanooga Lookouts||Minnesota Twins||Chattanooga, Tennessee||AT&T Field||6,362 |
|Jackson Generals||Seattle Mariners||Jackson, Tennessee||The Ballpark at Jackson||6,000 |
|Montgomery Biscuits||Tampa Bay Rays||Montgomery, Alabama||Montgomery Riverwalk Stadium||7,000 |
|Tennessee Smokies||Chicago Cubs||Kodak, Tennessee||Smokies Park||6,412 |
|South||Biloxi Shuckers||Milwaukee Brewers||Biloxi, Mississippi||MGM Park||6,076 |
|Jacksonville Suns||Miami Marlins||Jacksonville, Florida||Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville||11,000 |
|Mississippi Braves||Atlanta Braves||Pearl, Mississippi||Trustmark Park||8,480 |
|Mobile BayBears||Arizona Diamondbacks||Mobile, Alabama||Hank Aaron Stadium||6,000 |
|Pensacola Blue Wahoos||Cincinnati Reds||Pensacola, Florida||Pensacola Bayfront Stadium||5,038 |
Current team rosters
- Main article: Southern League rosters
<timeline> DateFormat = yyyy ImageSize = width:1000 height:auto barincrement:20 Period = from:1964 till:2014 TimeAxis = orientation:horizontal PlotArea = right:20 left:0 bottom:50 top:5 #> to display a count on left side of graph, use "left:20" to suppress the count, use "left:20"<# Colors = id:barcolor
id:line value:pink id:bg value:white id:Full value:rgb(0.742,0.727,0.852) # Use this color to denote a team that is a current league member id:OtherC1 value:rgb(0.996,0.996,0.699) # Use this color to denote a team that has moved to another current league id:OtherC2 value:rgb(0.988,0.703,0.383) # Use this color to denote a team that has moved to a now defunct league where OtherC1 has already been used, to distinguish the two
width:15 textcolor:black shift:(5,-5) anchor:from fontsize:s bar:1 color:Full from:1964 till:1967 text:Asheville Tourists (1964-1966; 1968-1975) bar:1 color:OtherC1 from:1967 till:1968 bar:1 color:Full from:1968 till:1976 bar:1 color:OtherC2 from:1976 till:1980 bar:1 color:OtherC1 from:1980 till:end text:SAL
bar:2 color:Full from:1964 till:1966 text:Birmingham Barons (1964-1965; 1967-1975; 1981-present) bar:2 color:Full from:1967 till:1976 bar:2 color:Full from:1981 till:end bar:3 color:Full from:1964 till:1973 text:Charlotte Hornets (1964–1972)
bar:4 color:Full from:1964 till:1966 text:Chattanooga Lookouts (1964-1965; 1976-present bar:4 color:Full from:1976 till:end
bar:5 color:Full from:1964 till:1967 text:Columbus Confederate Yankees (1964-1966)
bar:6 color:Full from:1964 till:1968 text:Knoxville/Tennessee Smokies (1964-1967; 1972-present) bar:6 color:Full from:1972 till:end
bar:7 color:Full from:1964 till:1965 text:Macon Peaches (1964; 1966-1967) bar:7 color:Full from:1966 till:1968 bar:7 color:OtherC1 from:1980 till:1988 text:SAL bar:7 color:OtherC1 from:1991 till:2003 text:SAL
bar:8 color:Full from:1964 till:end text:Lynchburg White Sox; Columbus Astros; Carolina Mudcats; Pensacola Blue Wahoos (1964-present)
bar:9 color:Full from:1965 till:1981 text:Montgomery Rebels (1965-1980)
bar:10 color:Full from:1966 till:1967 text:Mobile A's/White Sox (1966; 1970) bar:10 color:Full from:1970 till:1971
bar:11 color:Full from:1968 till:1971 text:Savannah Senators/Indians
bar:12 color:Full from:1970 till:end text:Jacksonville Suns (1970-present)
bar:13 color:Full from:1971 till:end text:Savannah/Greenville/Mississippi Braves (1971-present)
bar:14 color:Full from:1973 till:end text:Orlando Twins/Cubs/Rays; Montgomery Biscuits (1973-present)
bar:15 color:Full from:1976 till:1993 text:Charlotte O's/Knights (1976-1992) bar:15 color:OtherC1 from:1993 till:end text:IL
bar:16 color:Full from:1978 till:1998 text:Memphis Chicks (1978-1997) bar:16 color:Full from:1998 till:end text:West Tenn Diamond Jaxx; Jackson Generals (1998-present)
bar:17 color:Full from:1978 till:1985 text:Nashville Sounds (1978-1984) bar:17 color:OtherC2 from:1985 till:1998 text:American Assoc bar:17 color:OtherC1 from:1998 till:end text:PCL
bar:18 color:Full from:1985 till:end text:Huntsville Stars/Biloxi Shuckers (1985-present)
bar:19 color:Full from:1993 till:end text:Nashville Xpress; Port City Roosters; Mobile BayBears (1993-present)
ScaleMajor = gridcolor:line unit:year increment:2 start:1964 TextData =
text:^"Southern League Timeline"
- > If the chart uses more than one bar color, add a legend by selecting the appropriate fields from the following three options (use only the colors that are used in the graphic.) Leave a blank line after the end of the timeline, then add a line with the selected values from the list, separated by a space. League members Other Current League Other Defunct League <# </timeline>
League members Other Current League Other Defunct League
- In 1971, the Southern League and Texas League were both down to 7 teams so they formed the Dixie Association for one season. They played interlocking schedules but held their own separate playoffs.
Complete list of teams (1964–present)
South Atlantic League teams (prior to 1964)
- Albany Babies
- Asheville Tourists
- Augusta Dollies
- Augusta Georgians
- Augusta Rams
- Augusta Tigers
- Augusta Tygers
- Augusta Tourists
- Augusta Wolves
- Augusta Yankees
- Charleston ChaSox/White Sox
- Charleston Palmettos/Pals
- Charleston Rebels
- Charleston Sea Gulls/Gulls
- Charlotte Hornets
- Chattanooga Lookouts
- Columbia Comers/Commies/Combers
- Columbia Gamecocks
- Columbia Gems
- Columbia Reds
- Columbia Senators
- Columbia Skyscrapers
- Columbus Foxes
- Columbus Pirates
- Columbus Red Birds/Cardinals
- Gastonia Combers
- Gastonia Pirates
- Greenville Spinners
- Jacksonville Braves
- Jacksonville Jays
- Jacksonville Jets
- Jacksonville Tarpons
- Jacksonville Tars
- Knoxville Appalachians
- Knoxville Smokies
- Lynchburg White Sox
- Macon Brigands
- Macon Dodgers
- Macon Highlanders
- Macon Peaches
- Montgomery Grays
- Montgomery Rebels
- Nashville Vols
- New Orleans Bucks/Kings (also in SL)
- New Orleans Jacks/Generals (also in SL)
- Portsmouth-Norfolk Tides
- Savannah Athletics
- Savannah Indians
- Savannah Pirates
- Savannah Redlegs/Reds
- Savannah White Sox
- South Atlantic League Orphans
- Spartanburg Pioneers
- Spartanburg Spartans
- List of Southern League champions
- Southern League Hall of Fame
- Southern League Manager of the Year Award
- Southern League Most Outstanding Pitcher Award
- Southern League Most Valuable Player Award
- Sports league attendances
- "Regions Field Birmingham Barons". Minor League Baseball. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- Knight, Graham (July 27, 2010). "AT&T Field". Baseball Pilgrimages. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- Knight, Graham. "The Ballpark at Jackson". Baseball Pilgrimages. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- "Riverwalk Stadium Information". Minor League Baseball. Montgomery Biscuits. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- Reichard, Kevin (1 May 2015). "Smokies Park / Tennessee Smokies". Ballpark Digest. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- Harris, Chris (February 12, 2015). "A Walking Tour of MGM Park". Minor League Baseball. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- Knight, Graham (August 16, 2003). "Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville - Jacksonville Suns". Baseball Pilgrimages. Retrieved February 23, 2014.
- "Mississippi Braves Stadium Information". Minor League Baseball. November 13, 2008. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- "Hank Aaron Stadium Info". Minor League Baseball. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- Pillon, Dennis (April 20, 2012). "Pensacola's Class AA Baseball Fever Still Going Strong". Press-Register (Mobile). Retrieved 4 May 2015.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Southern League.|