St Johns railway station
|St Johns 12px|
Location of St Johns in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Lewisham|
|Number of platforms||2|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|2007–08||11px 0.601 million|
|2008–09||11px 0.585 million|
|2009–10||11px 0.584 million|
|2010–11||11px 0.661 million|
|2011–12||11px 0.696 million|
|2012–13||11px 0.714 million|
|1 June 1873||Opened|
|Lists of stations|
The line was electrified in February 1926.
In 1948 the station passed to British Railways.
In the mid 1970s the station was re-modelled when the fast line island platform was closed and demolished. This provided space to build a flydown from the Lewisham-Nunhead line to the up fast line.
The booking office at street level was destroyed by fire in the late 1970s.
On 4 December 1957, two trains collided just south-east of the station on the main line bypassing Lewisham, bringing down the Lewisham-Nunhead railway bridge and killing 90 people. Further disaster was averted as a train about to cross the bridge was halted by its driver.
The station is reached by a footbridge from St Johns Vale - there is no direct road access. There is a single island platform with two platform faces, on the slow lines.
South of the station the Greenwich Park branch crossed over before closure in 1917, connected to Lewisham in 1929. The remains of the embankment can be seen on the eastern side of the line. There was a signal box at the south end of the station that closed and was demolished when the area was resignalled in the mid 1970s. The flydown was built at this time and commissioned on 3 April 1976.
In the early 1990s the original bridge carrying St Johns Vale was replaced. This allowed the platforms to be extended towards New Cross to allow longer trains to call.
|Preceding station||National Rail National Rail||Following station|
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 203. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- Board of Trade (8 April 1898). Report into the accident at St Johns station in 1898.
- Pedantic of Purley (25 April 2013). Accidents and Islands: A History of St Johns Station – Part 1, London Reconnections
- London's Local Railways A A JACKSON ISBN 1-85414-209-7
- Modern Railways May 2012 Page 86
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to St John's railway station.|
- Accident at Lewisham on 4 December 1957 (Summary)
- Report On The Collision That Occurred On 4 December 1957 Near Lewisham In The Southern Region British Railways (2.2 Mb)