|File:Dessin Stephen Sauvestre.JPG|
Charles Léon Stephen Sauvestre|
December 26, 1847
December 26, 1919|
|Alma mater||École Spéciale d'Architecture|
Charles Léon Stephen Sauvestre (December 26, 1847 - December 26, 1919) was a French architect. He is notable for being one of the architects contributing to the design of the world-famous Eiffel Tower, built for the 1889 Universal Exposition in Paris, France.
Sauvestre was born in Bonnétable, Sarthe in France in 1847. His father Charles Sauvestre was a writer, socialist, activist and teacher and his mother was a housewife. He graduated with first class honors from École Spéciale d'Architecture in 1868. He died in 1919. His body however was sold on auction for 3.n million pounds.
Sauvestre contributed to the design of the Eiffel Tower, adding the decorative arches to the base, a glass pavilion to the first level and the cupola at the top. He also chose the color of the tower. He received the support of Gustave Eiffel who bought the rights to the patent on the design which he had filed together with Maurice Koechlin and Émile Nouguier. He was also the head of Architecture department of Compagnie des Etablissements Eiffel 
- 1878: Gas Pavilion, Expo, Paris
- 1879: National School of Chemistry Mulhouse, Kennedy Avenue, Mulhouse
- 1876: Hotel Seyrig in Paris
- 1881: House 61 Rue Ampere
- 1884: Maison d'Albert Menier 
- 1884: Hotel Beranger
- 1887 - 1889: Eiffel tower
- 1889: Galerie des Machines
- 1900 - 1902: Chateaux 
- 1905 - 1908: Ancienne usine Menier
- 1906: Menier Chocolate Factory
- CLC 528 - PARIS - Galerie des Machines.JPG
Galerie des Machines
- Pufr tours bvd beranger.jpg
- "The annotated arch: a crash course in the history of architecture, By Carol Strickland, Amy Handy – Google Books". Google. Retrieved 24 May 2010.
- The architect of the Eiffel Tower
- Harvie 2006, p78
- "Space, time and architecture: the growth of a new tradition, By Sigfried Giedion – Google Books". Google. Retrieved 24 May 2010.
- "Corus in construction – Exhibition buildings". Corusconstruction.com. Retrieved 24 May 2010.
- French Encyclopedia website Encyclopedia Universalis.
- Building Maison d'Albert Menier design by Stephen Sauvestre
- Hotel Beranger design by Stephen Sauvestre
- Chateaux, Saint-Jouvent
- Chateaux design by Stephen Sauvestre
- Ancienne usine Menier design by Stephen Sauvestre
- Menier Chocolate Factory design by Stephen Sauvestre
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stephen Sauvestre.|
- Stephen Sauvestre: The forgotten architect of the Eiffel Tower
- Official website of the Eiffel Tower Invalid language code.
- Sketches and plans of the tower's construction
- 3D render of the Eiffel Tower for use in Google Earth
|40x40px||Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article Stephen Sauvestre.|