Cishek with the Miami Marlins
Miami Marlins – No. 31
Born: June 18, 1986|
|September 20, 2010 for the Florida Marlins|
(through May 18, 2015)
|Earned run average||2.97|
Steven R. Cishek (SEE-sheck) (born June 18, 1986) is an American professional baseball pitcher with the Miami Marlins of Major League Baseball (MLB). He has surpassed the previous Marlins franchise record for consecutive saves with 33 in a row as of April 2014.
Cishek was selected by the Marlins in the fifth round of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft. Cishek was called up to the Majors for the first time on September 20, 2010. He pitched 4.1 scoreless innings towards the end of the season.
On May 24, 2011, Cishek was called up once again to join the Marlins after Jay Buente was designated for assignment. In 2012, Heath Bell was demoted as the team's closer and Cishek assumed the role for about a week. After a few relief appearances by Bell, he retook back the closer's role. After about two months as the closer, again, Bell was demoted to a relief pitcher and Cishek took over the closer's role, again.
Cishek flourished in 2013, his first full season as Miami's closer, converting 34 of his 36 save opportunities, while posting a 2.33 ERA and 1.08 WHIP.
Cishek is a sinkerballer who, despite utilizing a sidearm delivery, is able to throw his sinker with above-average velocity (91-94 mph). Cishek's secondary pitch is a slider in the 82-85 mph range, a pitch he uses more commonly against right-handed hitters. Additionally, Cishek has a four-seam fastball, and also a mid-80s changeup that he uses exclusively against left-handed hitters. Cishek uses his slider liberally in two-strike counts, especially 1-2.
- Baseball: Falmouth's Cishek promoted to Marlins
- Capozzi, Joe (2011-05-24). "Florida Marlins re-call Steve Cishek, designate Jay Buente". The Palm Beach Post. Retrieved 2011-05-24.
- "Heath Bell candid in interview". ESPN.com. September 24, 2012. Archived from the original on September 24, 2012.
- "PITCHf/x Player Card: Steven Cishek". BrooksBaseball.net. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- "Truth Hits a Home Run for Marlins Reliever".
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)