Subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus
|Subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus|
|Classification and external resources|
|NCI||Subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus|
|Patient UK||Subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus|
Subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus (SCLE) is a clinically distinct subset of cases of lupus erythematosus that is most often present in white women aged 15 to 40, consisting of skin lesions that are scaly and evolve as polycyclic annular lesions or psoriasiform plaques.
Characteristically the lesions appear in sun-exposed areas such as the vee of the neckline or the forearms, but not the face. It may be brought on by sun-sensitizing medications, but is usually associated with autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and Sjögren's syndrome.
Treatment generally involves sun avoidance/protection and topical corticosteroids. Sometimes systemic drug treatment is necessary. Besides corticosteroids other immunsuppressants such as methotrexate are also used.
- Lupus erythematosus
- List of cutaneous conditions
- List of human leukocyte antigen alleles associated with cutaneous conditions
- James, William; Berger, Timothy; Elston, Dirk (2005). Andrews' Diseases of the Skin: Clinical Dermatology. (10th ed.). Saunders. Page 160. ISBN 0-7216-2921-0.
- Burkhalter NW, McKenzie JT, Lane JE (2009). "Subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus". Consultant 49 (3).
- Boehm IB, Boehm GA, Bauer R (1998). "Management of cutaneous lupus erythematosus with low-dose methotrexate: indication for modulation of inflammatory mechanisms". Rheumatology International 18 (2): 59–62. PMID 9782534. doi:10.1007/s002960050058.
- Rapini, Ronald P.; Bolognia, Jean L.; Jorizzo, Joseph L. (2007). Dermatology: 2-Volume Set. St. Louis: Mosby. p. 563. ISBN 1-4160-2999-0.
- Sontheimer RD, Thomas JR, Gilliam JN (December 1979). "Subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus: a cutaneous marker for a distinct lupus erythematosus subset". Arch Dermatol 115 (12): 1409–15. PMID 533284. doi:10.1001/archderm.1979.04010120007006.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.