Superstore (TV series)
|Created by||Justin Spitzer|
|Written by||Justin Spitzer|
|Directed by||Ruben Fleischer|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Picture format||1080i (16:9 HDTV)|
Superstore is an upcoming American single camera workplace comedy that will debut on NBC as a mid-season entry in the 2015-16 television season. The series, which was greenlighted to order on May 7, 2015, was created and written by Justin Spitzer, who will also share executive production credits with David Bernad for The District and Universal Television.
The series takes place at a multi-super-sized megastore called "Cloud 9," where the employees, interns, and their supervisors, find themselves dealing with the customers and each other. In-between the chaos, some come to work in order to make a better life, while some will do whatever it takes to succeed, and for a couple of fellow workers, it could lead to something romantic.
The series was one of three pilots picked up by NBC on January 14, 2015, along with Crowded; both were green lighted to series status the same day (May 7, 2015). The series was the first project for Ruben Fleischer's newly-formed company The District as part of a two year deal with Universal, as he directed the pilot episode.
On March 16, 2015, Ferrera was added to the cast, and will add co-production duties as well. This brings the actress back to television just five years after Ugly Betty ended its run in 2010. Ferrera has garnered multiple offers for the past few pilot seasons and declined everything until this one came along.
- America Ferrera as Amy, a 10-year employee who has worked as a floor supervisor at Cloud 9. She is put off by having to deal with the new employee Jonah, but over time they grow into becoming friends, which could lead to something more and possibly romantic.
- Ben Feldman as Jonah, a college grad who never held a job in his life until this one came along, as he wants to experience the real taste of the real world. He has a elitist behavior and it causes him to be alienated from his fellow employees, especially possible romantic interest Amy, but over time he wins the co-workers over with his superior, yet positive attitude.
- Colton Dunn as Garrett, the series' often-sarcastic store PA/narrator who frequently shares his philosophical insights and wry comments over the intercom.
- Lauren Ash as Dina, the assistant manager at Cloud 9 who lives and breathes her job.
- Mark McKinney as Glenn, Cloud 9's intensely religious store manager who isn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer.
- Nichole Bloom as Cheyenne, a very pregnant, yet naïve, teenage employee with a sweet, unsophisticated personality.
- Nico Santos as Mateo, a brown-nosed employee who hopes to make it in life, despite having come from a large family and seeing all 11 of his siblings incarcerated in jail.
- Development Update
- "NBC Picks Up 3 Comedy Pilots From Universal TV" from Deadline (January 14, 2015)
- "CAA Signs ‘Zombieland’s Ruben Fleischer" from Deadline (January 28, 2015)
- "Lauren Ash Joins NBC Pilot ‘Superstore'; Christine Ko In CBS’ ‘The Half Of It’" from Deadline (February 20, 2015)
- "Colton Dunn, Mark McKinney & Nico Santos Join NBC Pilot ‘Superstore’" from Deadline (March 2, 2015)
- "NBC Pilots ‘Heart Matters’, ‘Take It From Us’, ‘Superstore’ Add To Casts" from Deadline (March 12, 2015)
- "Ben Feldman To Topline NBC Comedy Pilot ‘Superstore’" from Deadline (March 13, 2015)
- "America Ferrera to Star in NBC Comedy 'Superstore'" from The Hollywood Reporter (March 16, 2015)