The men's 4×100 metre freestyle relay event at the 1988 Olympic Games took place September 23. The relay featured teams of four swimmers each swimming two lengths of the 50 m pool freestyle.
Italicized swimmers competed in the preliminary heats of the event, and not in the event final.
- 1964: USA (Clark, Austin, Ilman, Schollander)
- 1968: USA (Zorn, Rerych, Spitz, Walsh)
- 1972: USA (Edgar, Murphy, Heidenreich, Spitz)
- 1984: USA (Cavanaugh, Heath, Biondi, Gaines)
- 1988: USA (Jacobs, Dalbey, Jager, Biondi)
- 1992: USA (Hudepohl, Biondi, Jager, Olsen)
- 1996: USA (Olsen, Davis, Schumacher, Hall)
- 2000: Australia (Klim, Fydler, Callus, Thorpe)
- 2004: South Africa (Schoeman, Ferns, Townsend, Neethling)
- 2008: USA (Phelps, Weber-Gale, Jones, Lezak)
- 2012: France (Leveaux, Gilot, Lefert, Agnel)