|This article contains orbital elements but does not include an epoch, or date when those elements, which typically vary over time, were correct.|
Terra (EOS AM-1)
|Mission type||Climate research|
|Launch mass||Script error: No such module "convert".|
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||December 18, 1999, 18:57:39UTC|
|Rocket||Atlas IIAS AC-141|
|Launch site||Vandenberg SLC-3E|
|Semi-major axis||Script error: No such module "convert".|
|Perigee||Script error: No such module "convert".|
|Apogee||Script error: No such module "convert".|
|Argument of perigee||94.9883 degrees|
|Mean anomaly||265.1483 degrees|
|Epoch||01 October 2013 11:49:00 UTC|
Terra (EOS AM-1) is a multi-national NASA scientific research satellite in a Sun-synchronous orbit around the Earth. It is the flagship of the Earth Observing System (EOS). The name "Terra" comes from the Latin word for Earth.
- ASTER (Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer)
- CERES (Clouds and the Earth's Radiant Energy System)
- MISR (Multi-angle Imaging SpectroRadiometer)
- MODIS (Moderate-resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer)
- MOPITT (Measurements of Pollution in the Troposphere)
Data from the satellite helps scientists better understand the spread of pollution around the globe. Studies have used instruments on Terra to examine trends in global carbon monoxide and aerosol pollution. The data collected by Terra will ultimately become a new, 15-year global data set.
Malicious Cyber Activities
In June and October 2008 the spacecraft was targeted by hackers who gained unauthorized access to its command and control systems but did not issue any commands.
Gallery of images by Terra
The first image taken by Terra.
- Gulf Oil Spill Creeps Towards Mississippi Delta.jpg
The Deepwater Horizon oil slick just off the Louisiana coast on April 30, 2010, visible from space.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Terra (satellite).|
- "NASA: TERRA (EOS AM-1)". nasa.gov. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- Maurer, John (November 2001). "Overview of NASA's Terra satellite". hawaii.edu (University of Hawai'i). Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- Stevens, Nicki F.; Garbeil, Harold; Mouginis-Mark, Peter J. (2004-01-22). "NASA EOS Terra ASTER: Volcanic topographic mapping and capability" (PDF). Hawai'i Institute of Geophysics and Planetology. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- "MODIS Terra Satellite Images". ucar.edu(National Center for Atmospheric Research: Earth Observatory Laboratory). Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- "MEASUREMENTS OF POLLUTION IN THE TROPOSPHERE (MOPITT)". acd.ucar.edu (NESL's Atmospheric Chemistry Division). Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- "NASA's Terra Satellite Tracks Global Pollution". gsfc.nasa.gov (Goddard Space Flight Center). 2004-05-18. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- "2011 REPORT TO CONGRESS of the U.S.-CHINA ECONOMIC AND SECURITY REVIEW COMMISSION, page 216" (PDF). uscc.gov. Retrieved 2012-10-09.