The Great Game (1953 film)
|The Great Game|
|Directed by||Maurice Elvey|
|Produced by||David Dent|
|Distributed by||Adelphi Films|
The Great Game is a 1953 British sports comedy-drama directed by Maurice Elvey and starring James Hayter, Thora Hird and Diana Dors. It was based on a play by Basil Thomas. Many of the scenes were shot at Griffin Park the home of Brentford F.C.. Several professional football players made appearances in the film including Tommy Lawton.
The chairman of a top-flight English football club makes an illegal approach to a rising star of a rival club. This is discovered by the football authorities and the Chairman is ultimately suspended from the game following the ensuing scandal.
- James Hayter - Joe Lawson
- Thora Hird - Miss Rawlings
- Diana Dors - Lulu Smith
- John Laurie - 'Mac' Wells
- Meredith Edwards- Skid Evans
- Jack Lambert - Ralph Blake
- Glyn Houston - Ned Rutter
- Geoffrey Toone - Jack Bannerman
- Alexander Gauge - Ben Woodhall
- Frank Pettingell - Sir Julius
- Tommy Lawton - Cameo
- Sheila Shand-Gibbs - Mavis Pink
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found. Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.