The Port Arthur News
|Sports editor||Bob West|
|Founded||March 17, 1897|
3501 Turtle Creek Drive|
Port Arthur, Texas 77642 23x15px United States
The newspaper has not missed an issue since March 17, 1897, when the Stump family, leaving Missouri, printed the first weekly edition in a baggage car of a train on the way to their new home. The News went daily (except Sunday) in 1901, and a Sunday edition was added in 1916 (although it was later abandoned, and then reintroduced). By 1920, all of Port Arthur's other newspapers had either folded or been bought out by The News.
A Texas newspaper chain begun by E.S. Fentress and Charles Marsh bought The News in 1921, overseeing headquarters and press improvements, until Cox Enterprises bought it in 1976. Cox converted The News from an afternoon paper to morning publication in 1986. In 1991, Cox sold The News, along with its sister paper The Orange Leader, to American Publishing Company, which in turn dealt them to Community Newspaper Holdings in 1999. The pair was sold to Boone Newspapers Inc. in 2014.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.