The TV Set
|The TV Set|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Jake Kasdan|
|Written by||Jake Kasdan|
|Music by||Michael Andrews|
|Edited by||Tara Timpone|
20th Century Fox
April 28, 2006 (Tribeca)|
April 6, 2007
Idealistic scriptwriter Mike Klein (Duchovny) tries to navigate his TV pilot through the mine-laden path of casting, production, and the madness of prime-time scheduling—all while trying to stay true to his vision. Along the way he has to juggle the agendas of headstrong network president Lenny (Weaver), volatile young stars, his pregnant wife Natalie (Bateman), and an ever-optimistic personal manager Alice (Greer), while suffering very serious back pain.
- David Duchovny – Mike Klein
- Sigourney Weaver – Lenny
- Ioan Gruffudd – Richard McCallister
- Judy Greer – Alice
- Fran Kranz – Zack Harper
- Lindsay Sloane – Laurel Simon
- Justine Bateman – Natalie Klein
- Lucy Davis – Chloe McCallister
- Philip Rosenthal – Cooper
- Matt Price – Berg
- Willie Garson – Brian
- M. C. Gainey – Hutch
- Simon Helberg – TJ Goldman
- Kaitlin Doubleday – Jesse Filmore
- Philip Baker Hall – Vernon Maxwell
- Allison Scagliotti – Bethany
- Jonathan Silverman – himself (cameo)
- Seth Green - Himself - Slut Wars Host (uncredited)
Production and vision
The film's writer/director Jake Kasdan had originally intended Ben Stiller for the role of Lenny, however Kasdan cast Weaver for the role, which changed his idea of what the character should be. Kasdan does not regard the film as satire, as he sees nothing exaggerated in its depiction of bringing a pilot to production.
The film was first screened on the Tribeca Film Festival on April 28, 2006. Following almost a year of festival screenings, it was released in cinemas on April 6, 2007. A DVD edition was released through 20th Century Fox on September 25, 2007. It features commentary tracks, a "making of" featurette and a deleted scene.
- The Big Picture, a film following a similar theme
- Episodes, a TV series following a similar theme
- State and Main, an award-winning comedy film about an obstacle-fraught film production
- Nick Dawson. "The Director Interviews: Jake Kasdan, The TV Set". Filmmaker Magazine.
- "The TV Set release dates". IMDb.