The Times-Tribune (Scranton)
|This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (November 2010)|
|Type||Daily and Sunday morning newspaper|
|Publisher||Edward J. Lynett Jr., George V. Lynett, William R. Lynett and Cecelia Lynett Haggerty|
Scranton Times: 1870|
Scranton Tribune: 1891 (but with heritage dating to 1856)
149 Penn Ave.|
Scranton, Pennsylvania 18503
The Times-Tribune is a morning newspaper serving the Scranton, Pennsylvania, U.S. area. It is owned by the Lynett family and their company, Times-Shamrock Communications. On Sundays the paper is published as The Sunday Times. The paper has an average circulation of 47,663 
The current paper is the result of a 2005 merger between the afternoon Scranton Times and morning Scranton Tribune.
The Times was founded in 1870. It struggled under six owners before E. J. Lynett bought the paper in 1895. Within 20 years, the Times was the dominant newspaper in northeastern Pennsylvania, and the third-largest in the state (behind only the Philadelphia Inquirer and the Pittsburgh Press). In 1923, Lynett signed on one of Scranton's first radio stations, WQAN; his family still owns the station today under the calls WEJL.
Lynett died in 1943, and his three children took control of the paper with William R. Lynett, the oldest, as publisher. He died in 1946; siblings Edward J. and Elizabeth R. Lynett took over as co-publishers, with Edward J. as editor. Edward J. Lynett died in 1966, and his four children took over; they still run the paper today. Shortly after they took over, the Times expanded to a full week with the appearance of The Sunday Times.
In 1990, the Times bought the remains of its principal rival, the morning Scrantonian-Tribune. This paper had been founded in 1891 as the Scranton Tribune. In 1910, it merged with Scranton's first newspaper, The Morning Republican, and changed its name to the Scranton Republican. It became the Scranton Tribune once again in 1936. In 1938, Richard Little, owner of Scranton's Sunday paper, The Scrantonian (founded 1897), teamed up with M. L. Goodman to buy the Tribune as well. The Goodman-Little family partnership continued for almost half a century, until Richard Little III sold his interest to the Goodmans in 1986. Only a year later, Media One Corporation (no relation to the cable company) bought out the Goodmans and merged the two papers into one seven-day morning paper, The Scrantonian-Tribune. However, Media One was unable to turn the paper around. In 1990, it shuttered the paper. The Lynetts bought the Scrantonian-Tribune nameplate and some other assets, and relaunched the paper as the Scranton Tribune, with much of the same content as the Times (except for timely editing).
By 2004, it was obvious that Scranton could no longer support a morning and afternoon paper, and the Lynetts announced that their two papers would merge into one morning paper, The Times-Tribune. The new paper first rolled off the presses on July 27, 2005. However, its legal name is still The Scranton Times; the licensee for sister radio station WEJL and its two satellites is "The Scranton Times L. P."
The paper has appeared a number of times in The Office.
The Scranton Times won the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service in 1946, while the Scranton Tribune and Scrantonian (then separately owned) won the prize for Local Reporting in 1959.
- The Times-Tribune founded in 2005