Three Rivers Classic
Logo for the 2012 Three Rivers Classic
|Sport||College ice hockey|
|No. of teams||4|
|Most recent champion(s)||Colgate|
Boston College (1)
Robert Morris (1)
The Three Rivers Classic is a two-day Division I college ice hockey tournament which is held annually at Consol Energy Center, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The inaugural tournament took place on December 28–29, 2012 and featured teams from Miami University, Ohio State University, Pennsylvania State University and Robert Morris University. The second tournament was played out on December 27-28, 2013 and featured Penn State, Robert Morris, Boston College and Bowling Green State University. The Classic is the evolution of a showcase of games that the Robert Morris Colonials have played against the Ohio State Buckeyes and Miami RedHawks at either Consol Energy Center or Mellon Arena in previous years.
Since many fans of the National Hockey League's Pittsburgh Penguins (who play at Consol Energy Center) are also fans of Robert Morris and Penn State, the two teams are planned to be fixtures of the tournament in years to come.
|Year||Champion||Runner-up||Third place||Fourth place|
|2014||Colgate||Robert Morris||Western Michigan||Penn State|
|2013||Boston College||Penn State||Bowling Green||Robert Morris|
|2012||Robert Morris||Miami||Penn State||Ohio State|
- Game 1 (December 29) - Colgate 2, Western Michigan 1.
- Game 2 (December 29) - Robert Morris 4, Penn State 2.
- Consolation game (December 30) - Western Michigan 4, Penn State 1.
- Championship game (December 30) - Colgate 6, Robert Morris 1.
- Game 1 (December 27) - Boston College 5, Bowling Green 0.
- Game 2 (December 27) - Penn State 3, Robert Morris 2.
- Consolation game (December 28) - Bowling Green 3, Robert Morris 2.
- Championship game (December 28) - Boston College 8, Penn State 2.
- Game 1 (December 28) - Robert Morris 6, Penn State 0.
- Game 2 (December 28) - Miami 1, Ohio State 0.
- Consolation game (December 29) - Penn State 5, Ohio State 4.
- Championship game (December 29) - Robert Morris 1, Miami 0.
The total attendance for the inaugural games held on December 28 was listed as 11,663, while 10,797 turned out for the next day's games. The attendance total of 22,460 exceeded what had been hoped for by the event's planners, who estimated only 5,000 - 6,000 fans for each day of the games. The inaugural Classic also took part during the 2012–13 NHL lockout, which may have helped increase interest in the event.
- Werner, Sam (December 28, 2012). "Robert Morris hockey attracts strong field for Three Rivers Classic". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Grubba, Matt (December 29, 2014). "Robert Morris hockey holds off Penn State in Three Rivers Classic". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
- Grubba, Matt (December 30, 2014). "Colgate offense topples Robert Morris to win Three Rivers Classic title". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
- Nesbitt, Stephen J. (December 28, 2013). "Robert Morris heats up too late, loses consolation game, 3-2, to Bowling Green". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved December 29, 2013.
- Nesbitt, Stephen J. (December 28, 2013). "Boston College blasts Penn State, 8-2, in Three Rivers Classic championship game". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved December 29, 2013.
- Molinari, Dave (December 31, 2012). "Three Rivers Classic a success at the gate". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.