|Former editors||Karine Ewart (2011-2013), Caroline Connell (2006-2011), Linda Lewis (1997-2006), Fran Fearnley (1987-1997), Beverly L. Topping (1984-1987)|
|Founder||Beverly L. Topping|
|First issue||December 1984|
|Based in||Toronto, Ontario|
Today's Parent is a Canadian monthly magazine for parents of children from birth to age 14. Topics like health, education, behaviour, and nutrition are covered each month.
There are two other magazines in the Today's Parent Group -- Today's Parent Newborn and Today's Parent Baby & Toddler with circulations of 112,500 and 133,000 issues, respectively.
Before launching Today's Parent, founder Beverly Topping acquired the pregnancy publication Great Expectations in 1983, hoping to use the mailing list to promote a parenting magazine.
Today's Parent was first published in December 1984 as a 48 page saddle-stitched book. The magazine was originally published bimonthly and distributed through doctor offices. It did not reach newsstands until Rogers Publishing Ltd purchased the magazine.
In 2003, Today's Parent won the gold award in the parenting magazine category from Folio Magazine, the trade publication for the US magazine industry.
In the Canadian National Magazine Awards, the magazine has been repeatedly recognized, having won 4 gold medals (in 1992, 2003, 2011, and 2012) and a silver medal (2004). In 2012, Today's Parent won the Magazine of the Year — Digital award for its website.
Karine Ewart became editor-in-chief in June 2011, after Caroline Connell left the position in February 2011. After spending three years as executive editor, Connell was promoted to editor-in-chief in September 2006 when Linda Lewis resigned to launch More magazine at Transcontinental Media.
Under Ewart's editorial direction, the magazine emphasizes a variety of real-life stories from parents while balancing expert testimonials from pediatricians and psychologists. Ewart's parenting motto is "Whatever works for your family is the right answer".
In January, 2014, Sasha Emmons became editor-in-chief.
Since its March 2012 issue, Today's Parent has undergone a redesign to foster a sense of community between its readers/parents. The magazine introduced more lifestyle content (topics like fashion, beauty, travel and finance) in shorter pieces. The food section was also revamped, focusing more on images and simple recipes with accompanying grocery lists.
- "ACCESS ABC: eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Abcas3.accessabc.com. 2012-06-30. Retrieved 2012-08-31.
- todaysparent.com. "Rogers Connect". Rogers Connect. Retrieved 2012-08-31.
- "Family Planning :: Ryerson Review of Journalism :: The Ryerson School of Journalism". Rrj.ca. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- "Canadians honoured with stateside awards :: Masthead News Archives :: Masthead Online". October 31, 2003.
- "Past Awards". Magazine-awards.com. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- "The Winners of the 35th anniversary National Magazine Awards! " Magazine Awards". Blog.magazine-awards.com. 2012-06-07. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- Anonymous (2011-06-01). "Canadian Magazines". Canadianmags.blogspot.ca. Retrieved 2012-08-31.
- Connell joined Today's Parent as a Senior Editor in 2002.
- Your name:* (2012-02-23). "Today's Parent redesigns | Marketing Magazine". Marketingmag.ca. Retrieved 2012-08-31.
- "Karine Ewart". Brainpowerinitiative.com. Retrieved 2012-08-31.