|Parent house||Connachta (Dál Cuinn)|
|Founded||5th century AD|
|Current head||by sept dynast|
|Cadet branches||House of Dunkeld ?|
The Uí Néill (Irish pronunciation: [iː ˈnʲeːl̪ʲ], descendants of Niall) are Irish and Scottish dynasties who claim descent from Niall Noigiallach (Niall of the Nine Hostages), a historical King of Tara who died about 405.
The first generation of the Uí Néill were his sons, seven in all:
The Northern Uí Néill branch:
The Southern Uí Néill branch:
- Éndae, ancestor of the Cenél nÉndai
- Coirpre, ancestor of the Cenél Coirpri dynasty.
- Lóegaire, ancestor of the Cenél Lóegaire dynasty.
- Conall Cremthainne, ancestor of the Clann Cholmáin and Síl nÁedo Sláine.
- Fiachu, ancestor of the Cenél Fiachach.
All these men were in their lifetime known as members of The Connachta dynasty, or as "the sons of Niall." The term Uí Néill did not - by its very nature - come into use until the time of Niall's grandsons and great-grandsons.
Dynasties descended from the Uí Néill, such as the Cenél Conaill and Cenél nEógain, held power in Ulster until their defeat in the Nine Years War in 1603. Many of the heads of the families left for Catholic Europe in 1607, an event known as the Flight of the Earls.
Uí Néill family tree
Bold indicates a supposed High King of Ireland.
This page is a soft redirect. class="navbox collapsible collapsed" style="text-align:left; border:1px solid silver; margin-top:0.2em;" #REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other
This page is a soft redirect.- ! style="background-color:#F0F2F5;" #REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other
This page is a soft redirect. Genealogy of the Uí Néill #REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other
This page is a soft redirect.- #REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other
This page is a soft redirect. style="border: solid 1px silver; padding: 8px; background-color: white; " #REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other
This page is a soft redirect.
|Art mac Cuinn||Son||Son||Son||Son|
|Cormac mac Airt|
|Conall Gulban||Endae||Eógan||Coirpre||Lóegaire||Maine||Conall Cremthainne||Fiachu|
- Dubhaltach Mac Fhirbhisigh, The Great Book of Irish Genealogies, (ed. Nollaig Ó Muraíle), Dublin, 2005.
- Francis John Byrne, Irish Kings and High Kings, Dublin, 1973.
- The Hui Neill and the Leinstermen in the Annals of Ulster, 431-516 A.D., Alfred P. Smyth, Etudes Celtic, 1974, pp. 121–143.
- O'Brien, Michael A., ed.; Kelleher, John V. (intro. in the reprints of 1976 and 2005) (1962). Corpus Genealogiarum Hiberniae 1. Dublin: DIAS. pp. 133–4, 178–80. ISBN 0901282316. OCLC 56540733. Genealogical tables for the Uí Néill