USS Anchorage (LPD-23)
USS Anchorage (LPD-23), a [[San Antonio class amphibious transport dock #REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other
This page is a soft redirect.San Antonio-class]] amphibious transport dock, is the second ship of the United States Navy to be named for Anchorage, Alaska.
Anchorage 's keel was laid down on 24 September 2007, at the Avondale Shipyard in New Orleans, Louisiana, then owned by Northrop Grumman Ship Systems. The ship was launched on 12 February 2011. She was christened two months later, on 14 May — the first ship christened by Huntington Ingalls Industries since Northrop Grumman spun off its shipbuilding divisions as a separate company. The ship's sponsor[clarification needed] is Annette Conway, wife of former Marine Corps Commandant General James T. Conway. The ship was formally delivered and accepted by the US Navy on 17 September 2012. Anchorage was commissioned 04 May 2013, in her namesake city.
Voyages and exercises
In 2014, sailors assigned to Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit (EODMU) 1 and divers from New Zealand, the Netherlands, Canada, Japan, Australia and Chile recover their boats into the well deck of the amphibious transport dock USS Anchorage after conducting night dive exercises off the coast of San Diego during Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC).
In early August 2014, Anchorage participated in Underway Recovery Test 2, rehearsing scenarios for recovering an Orion space capsule. On 5 December 2014, Anchorage served as the recovery vessel for Orion's Exploration Flight Test 1.
- "U.S. Navy's Amphibious Transport Dock Anchorage (LPD 23) Christened at Ingalls Shipbuilding Avondale Operations" (Press release). Huntington Ingalls Industries. 14 May 2011. Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- "Navy Accepts Delivery of Future USS Anchorage". 17 September 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-23.
- "USS Anchorage will officially join the U.S. Navy on May 4, 2013" (Press release). USS Anchorage Commissioning Committee. 1 November 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "Anchorage (LPD 23)". Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- "RIMPAC: The world's largest naval exercise July 14th, 2014" (Press release). United States Navy. 14 July 2014. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- Jason Rhian, Orion Sails Through Successful Test With Aid Of Navy’s U.S.S. Anchorage, Spaceflight Insider, 8 August 2014
- Amphibious Warship USS Anchorage Assists in NASA Orion Testing, Amphibious Warship Industrial Base Coalition, 5 August 2014
- This article includes information collected from the Naval Vessel Register, which, as a U.S. government publication, is in the public domain. The entry can be found here.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to USS Anchorage (LPD-23).|
- Official Web Site: USS Anchorage
- pms317.navy.mil: USS Anchorage
- Priolo, Gary P. (20 February 2009). "USS Anchorage (LPD-23)". Amphibious Photo Archive. NavSource Naval History. Retrieved 2010-11-28.